• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

If they know something we don’t, I wish they would pass it along to the local Mets who are hyping this up. Cause my area is now a pretty good amount out of that cone and we still are being told worst storm in years.
Yeah all the conflicting information is not a good thing. There should be some sort of consensus by now since we're just a little over 24 hours away.

From NHC discussion:

A catastrophic and deadly storm surge is likely along portions
of the Florida Big Bend coast, where inundation could reach as high
as 20 feet above ground level, along with destructive waves.

Catastrophic and life-threatening flash and urban flooding,
including landslides, is expected across portions of the southern
Appalachians through Friday.

Considerable to locally catastrophic flash and urban flooding is likely for northwestern and northern Florida and the Southeast through Friday. Widespread minor to moderate river flooding is likely, and isolated major river flooding is possible.

Some of the Rapid Intensification (RI) indices, particular DTOPS, respond to this environment by indicating at least a 90 percent chance of a 35-kt increase in intensity over the next 24 hours.

The NHC intensity forecast now shows an intensity of 115 kt (Category 4) at 24 hours, which is mirrored by several of the regional hurricane models and the SHIPS guidance.

It should be noted that additional strengthening is possible beyond 24 hours before Helene makes landfall Thursday evening.

They must be thinking the ULL is going to start pull it sooner. Out pretty hard to bet against the EURO though
NHC is being very generous with the Cat 1 ranking, I think. They even admit that they are taking the highest value from the satellite intensity estimates. Why do that? Why not report the average intensity estimate, which makes Helene only a tropical storm. It is currently only slightly west of where the 12Z Euro said it would be at this time.

That "H" is way up there in Georgia on this!
Yep, it has been all week on the HWRF and HMON.
I've been expecting this all week. I live on the west side of Atlanta. It's gonna be brutal. Moved from Charleston hoping to never be in this situation again. I would have left Charleston with pressure less than 965. No where to go....The irony of it......

hwrf_mslp_uv700_09L_16.png

Back