• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Glad you and your people are safe. How was it down your way?

Oh, it was pretty bad.

Pretty much everything you're hearing is true. It was a madhouse in a Publix right after the storm, and you're still seeing lines to get in dollar stores.

Found out today that there is a DG in which I think is very a weird spot. They just build too many of those things.

I'd speak more, but I'm trying to keep it a bit short. Will say that some of the shocking damage is we've seen trees uprooted.

Oh, it was pretty bad.

Pretty much everything you're hearing is true. It was a madhouse in a Publix right after the storm, and you're still seeing lines to get in dollar stores.

Found out today that there is a DG in which I think is very a weird spot. They just build too many of those things.

I'd speak more, but I'm trying to keep it a bit short. Will say that some of the shocking damage is we've seen trees uprooted.
I was in Augusta Friday to Saturday and I've never seen anything like it downtown. Every other oak tree was down in the street.

Just after Helene ended 70% in this area were without power. They made good progress today and it is down to 25% still in the dark. They’re saying I’ll get mine back by 10PM tomorrow night. Fingers crossed! If it waits that long it would mean just under 5 days, easily the longest since Matthew at the very least. My warmest inside has been ~83. Thank goodness it hasn’t been as hot as it was during my 2 day AC outage, when it got to 88 inside! But at least then I had fans making it much more tolerable. This time it’s just muggy/sticky.

Still this area wasn’t hit nearly as bad as places closer to the center 50-100 miles to our SW/W/NW, where outages remain 70%++ in many counties. OTOH, areas to our NE like the CHS area had a 10-13 mph lower high straight line wind peak (gusts 60s vs 70s/sustained 40s vs 50s). That was enough to keep their outage peak quite a bit lower. But I believe the # of water spouts/tornadoes was higher at CHS. So, pick your poison. Just goes to show how much damage a high end TS can do as was the case here!

Last edited:
Just after Helene ended 70% in this area were without power. They made good progress today and it is down to 25% still in the dark. They’re saying I’ll get mine back by 10PM tomorrow night. Fingers crossed! If it waits that long it would mean just under 5 days, easily the longest since Matthew at the very least.

Still this area wasn’t hit nearly as bad as places closer to the center 50-100 miles to our SW/W/NW, where outages remain 70%++ in many counties. OTOH, areas to our NE like the CHS area had a 10-13 mph lower high straight line wind peak (gusts 60s vs 70s/sustained 40s vs 50s). That was enough to keep their outage peak quite a bit lower. But I believe the # of water spouts/tornadoes was higher at CHS. So, pick your poison.
Some counties in Georgia still have close to 100% without power !

Just after Helene ended 70% in this area were without power. They made good progress today and it is down to 25% still in the dark. They’re saying I’ll get mine back by 10PM tomorrow night. Fingers crossed! If it waits that long it would mean just under 5 days, easily the longest since Matthew at the very least.

Still this area wasn’t hit nearly as bad as places closer to the center 50-100 miles to our SW/W/NW, where outages remain 70%++ in many counties. OTOH, areas to our NE like the CHS area had a 10-13 mph lower high straight line wind peak (gusts 60s vs 70s/sustained 40s vs 50s). That was enough to keep their outage peak quite a bit lower. But I believe the # of water spouts/tornadoes was higher at CHS. So, pick your poison. Just goes to show how much damage a high end TS can do!
It’s a good thing it’s October and not July or August. Being without power for so long with extremely hot temps would be very dangerous.

Biden to visit us. We must have been ground zero. Duke estimates most customers to have power before Friday.
How is the water situation in Asheville. Is it coming out of the tap? Thats the biggie over in Yancey, Mitchell,Madison counties and east TN. Those small town municipalities have to rebuild ground up water treatment plants. No power, wifi is bad enough. But no tap water,sewage is bottom of barrell. Boiled water advisory aint great,but its better than net 0.

Thanks for sharing info. Prayers up for you and all up there, east GA,FL,Upstate, TN.

Ive rode by this quarry a dozen plus times. Its huge and I always figured it was just a standard rock quary. Had no idea about this.

1727753409992.jpeg

Pray this isnt true. Saw tonight in 2 seperate places. But who knows, its very possible.

1727753618025.jpeg

How is the water situation in Asheville. Is it coming out of the tap? Thats the biggie over in Yancey, Mitchell,Madison counties and east TN. Those small town municipalities have to rebuild ground up water treatment plants. No power, wifi is bad enough. But no tap water,sewage is bottom of barrell. Boiled water advisory aint great,but its better than net 0.

Thanks for sharing info. Prayers up for you and all up there, east GA,FL,Upstate, TN.
Yea since the power it out in some locations I'm told they just have to get power to the station. I can't imagine being in a city where they have to rebuild everything. That's going to take awhile.

Woh. What about all the counties around it? I never heard anything about their death tolls, which makes me concerned. If the count in Asheville is true, the final death toll may exceed 1,000 for this storm. Flooding is far more dangerous in hurricanes than wind it seems
I think it’s 90%+ of hurricane fatalities come from flooding. That may include storm surge, but I’m not positive.

Just after Helene ended 70% in this area were without power. They made good progress today and it is down to 25% still in the dark. They’re saying I’ll get mine back by 10PM tomorrow night. Fingers crossed! If it waits that long it would mean just under 5 days, easily the longest since Matthew at the very least. My warmest inside has been ~83. Thank goodness it hasn’t been as hot as it was during my 2 day AC outage, when it got to 88 inside! But at least then I had fans making it much more tolerable. This time it’s just muggy/sticky.

Still this area wasn’t hit nearly as bad as places closer to the center 50-100 miles to our SW/W/NW, where outages remain 70%++ in many counties. OTOH, areas to our NE like the CHS area had a 10-13 mph lower high straight line wind peak (gusts 60s vs 70s/sustained 40s vs 50s). That was enough to keep their outage peak quite a bit lower. But I believe the # of water spouts/tornadoes was higher at CHS. So, pick your poison. Just goes to show how much damage a high end TS can do as was the case here!

The difference in Charleston and Savannah was very stark. Things were getting back to normal on Friday here while Savannah still had major power outages. Only a few fast food places were closed. Starbucks and Chick-fil-A where I am on James Island.

But Augusta and really anything between 85 and 20 have gotten mostly ignored. Most everything is only on Facebook groups there. Columbia is somewhat back to normal except for the flooding of the Congaree and the water situation, while Newberry, only 35-40 miles NW still has over 70% of their county out of electricity.

Schools might be out 2 plus weeks in most of the Upstate. Probably longer than that in Western NC. High school football is gonna be majorly impacted. The SCHSL extended the season for Matthew. The Western NC schools might not even have the rest of the season the way things are there.

Back