• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

I think there were countless embedded micro/macro bursts. When I was over at my sister in laws that morning near the southern connector right beside the old Bonnie Brae golf club I can remember looking outside and the downdraft was cutting down through the alleyways between the homes carrying the rain with it. I’ve never been in a Hurricane before so I really didn’t know what was normal and what was not but that’s what I was seeing with my naked eye. Certainly lot of pressure downward out of the sky.
Dry air mixing causes really violent downburst in these systems. That's why there usually is a big difference between the sustained and gust...I have seen it here many times especially on the S or SW dry side of the circulation....the big gust seem to come out of no where and seem to be shorter but violent versus the windy side where you have higher sustained and can hear the big gust coming.

Look at all that water. I remember when I worked in retail the water would sell out in all of Atlanta metro area when major hurricanes hit Florida. Probably the same thing will happen again.
It's been amazing to watch the public drop off so much stuff.

The organizations and bigger companies are starting to carry a lot of the water now. We have 3-4 semi trucks of water scheduled each day through end of week right now.

It's hard to find water locally.

It's incredible. We are getting call after call of semis coming from all over the country. An amazing display of humanity this week!

It's been amazing to watch the public drop off so much stuff.

The organizations and bigger companies are starting to carry a lot of the water now. We have 3-4 semi trucks of water scheduled each day through end of week right now.

It's hard to find water locally.

It's incredible. We are getting call after call of semis coming from all over the country. An amazing display of humanity this week!
Logistically how are they distributing it in the worst hit areas? Helicopter, atvs?

Logistically how are they distributing it in the worst hit areas? Helicopter, atvs?
Pickup trucks with trailers load here and are taking to smaller drop off points. They have open road access into Asheville and surrounding areas now. From there it's atvs and smaller vehicles into the deep areas.

In our county our rescue teams have made contact with isolated people and are taking their supplies to them based on what they need.

The delivery side of things is pretty much organized chaos right now lol.

Pickup trucks with trailers load here and are taking to smaller drop off points. They have open road access into Asheville and surrounding areas now. From there it's atvs and smaller vehicles into the deep areas.

In our county our rescue teams have made contact with isolated people and are taking their supplies to them based on what they need.

The delivery side of things is pretty much organized chaos right now lol.

If you have Twitter this guy would likely try to deliver to your church. He is in or going to be in Erwin soon.

Overlooked, but that is one thing you've always gotta have, especially if you're storing supplies in a basement. Sump pump.
We learned that the hard way. Thankfully all of my woodworking equipment was on casters but we lost a lot of stuff this weekend. That was the first thing I purchased Friday morning.

I saw a video in east Tennessee where they were using their farm UTVs and such to ford the stuff across where bridges were out.

Obviously there are much bigger concerns than this but o thought I would share some of the effects on agriculture that the storm is having.

1. The late season South Georgia corn crop is at least 60% destroyed. This is the primary source of fresh corn for the east coast from late October to early December and a significant portion of canned and frozen corn during the winter months.

2. No exact numbers yet but a large percentage of the western North Carolina potato and sweet potato crop is likely gone. You’ll probably notice the sweet potato prices around Thanksgiving will not be nearly as low as what is normally seen.

3. Major damage to the live Christmas tree industry for WNC. We’re told that smaller volume stores might not even be able to carry live trees this year.

4. Finally just the effect of the road closures going through the mountains, especially I-40 and I-26 has a major impact on the shipping of products. This means trucks will be taking much longer routes and increasing their fuel costs which will have a very quick trickle down effect on many grocery prices.

Obviously there are much bigger concerns than this but o thought I would share some of the effects on agriculture that the storm is having.

1. The late season South Georgia corn crop is at least 60% destroyed. This is the primary source of fresh corn for the east coast from late October to early December and a significant portion of canned and frozen corn during the winter months.

2. No exact numbers yet but a large percentage of the western North Carolina potato and sweet potato crop is likely gone. You’ll probably notice the sweet potato prices around Thanksgiving will not be nearly as low as what is normally seen.

3. Major damage to the live Christmas tree industry for WNC. We’re told that smaller volume stores might not even be able to carry live trees this year.

4. Finally just the effect of the road closures going through the mountains, especially I-40 and I-26 has a major impact on the shipping of products. This means trucks will be taking much longer routes and increasing their fuel costs which will have a very quick trickle down effect on many grocery prices.
How are/did the pecans fare? I'd assume horribly?

Back