• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

I'm in just a mediocre hit place. Like not the worst but not the best in SC. So therefore some stuff is open etc.

You guys with common sense need to be careful out there. People are getting desperate and to be honest, a lot of out of town folk are coming into communities and commiting crimes and hoarding resources.

Then you have the people who are trying to profit off the disaster with fake repair offers and expensive food items.

Don't donate to door door unless you can one hundred percent verify they are who they say they are. Hint. Firemen are busy working the scene, not begging for money.

If that is happening here, I can only imagine elsewhere. So yeah, take care and keep yourself alert.

Day 5. The sound of generators humming litters the distance. The annexed subdivisions that sit across the creek from me and it’s thousands of residents still sit in the dark as I sit here less that 800 yards away with power since Friday evening. The case against fossil fuels and cash is weaker than it has ever been.

Day 5. The sound of generators humming litters the distance. The annexed subdivisions that sit across the creek from me and it’s thousands of residents still sit in the dark as I sit here less that 800 yards away with power since Friday evening. The case against fossil fuels and cash is weaker than it has ever been.
Don't.

Update from here: only 30K of Duke’s 152K customers in Spartanburg county has power back on so far. So no service or WiFi once you get about 5 miles north of 29 in Greer. Everywhere still looks like a disaster zone. Heard from a few reports of people that the gusts and wind the news were reporting hit the area was way on the low end. Several recorded sustained winds starting Thursday afternoon in the 30’s with gusts pushing 50 in parts of Campobello, Chesnee, and Landrum. By the time the center rotated to our west at 7am sustained wind were pushing hurricane force and guys were over 90mph at least. That was from people with some special weather equipment they have and from some linemen that locals talked to out in the field. Still awful about WNC. Praying for them big time. Trees and power lines down everywhere still. Hopefully we can get things turned back on quickly so we can focus on those north of us here more.

Down to 609K out in SC. Greenwood/Laurens/Edgefield still all at around 85% out. Gonna take a long time for crews to get out to the rural Upstate. All the counties around Augusta are still in really bad shape. Columbia (Augusta suburbs) still is at 84% out. There’s still counties in South Georgia (Montgomery/Clinch/Echols) at 99% out… Warren County, GA still 95%.

Jefferson County, GA, a county of 15K has 95.3% out.

143 is death toll with 600-750 missing. Is latest

Also starlinks being set up all rural towns as fast as they can get em in

Update from here: only 30K of Duke’s 152K customers in Spartanburg county has power back on so far. So no service or WiFi once you get about 5 miles north of 29 in Greer. Everywhere still looks like a disaster zone. Heard from a few reports of people that the gusts and wind the news were reporting hit the area was way on the low end. Several recorded sustained winds starting Thursday afternoon in the 30’s with gusts pushing 50 in parts of Campobello, Chesnee, and Landrum. By the time the center rotated to our west at 7am sustained wind were pushing hurricane force and guys were over 90mph at least. That was from people with some special weather equipment they have and from some linemen that locals talked to out in the field. Still awful about WNC. Praying for them big time. Trees and power lines down everywhere still. Hopefully we can get things turned back on quickly so we can focus on those north of us here more.
I was coming on here to say the same. I had a delivery in Anderson today. I was expecting it to be worse down here based on the report Anderson gusted to 72 and GSP supposedly 68. But it's not even close! Nowhere close to the amount of tree damage Greenville and Spartanburg counties suffered. The tree damage along 85 between mile markers 40 up to about Gaffney at the 90 mile marker is unbelievable. I26 from Moore to the NC state line is a disaster zone. So either the 72 at Anderson was just a random single gust that happened to hit a reporting station or the winds off to the north and east were way stronger than advertised

I was coming on here to say the same. I had a delivery in Anderson today. I was expecting it to be worse down here based on the report Anderson gusted to 72 and GSP supposedly 68. But it's not even close! Nowhere close to the amount of tree damage Greenville and Spartanburg counties suffered. The tree damage along 85 between mile markers 40 up to about Gaffney at the 90 mile marker is unbelievable. I26 from Moore to the NC state line is a disaster zone. So either the 72 at Anderson was just a random single gust that happened to hit a reporting station or the winds off to the north and east were way stronger than advertised
I think it’s mainly a product of the duration of strong winds were much longer in Greenville/Spartanburg counties. Oconee/Pickens/Anderson winds eased off a little as the eye approached and passed by.

143 is death toll with 600-750 missing. Is latest

Also starlinks being set up all rural towns as fast as they can get em in
I've heard through an inspector I was on-site with who's friend works in a funeral home that the morgues are full and funeral homes are now being sought to hold bodies, this is not vetted, but I believe it, this is absolutely devastating

Last edited:
I think it’s mainly a product of the duration of strong winds were much longer in Greenville/Spartanburg counties. Oconee/Pickens/Anderson winds eased off a little as the eye approached and passed by.
That's a very real possibility that's why its so much worse. I'm was standing in the garage watching the whole thing and the winds certainly didn't look like they were over the 60-70 reported. The saturated soil and long duration of the winds has certainly made the damage look like 90+ mph gusts instead of the 60-70 mph gusts reported. Woodruff is a disaster area. The worst I've seen while out working so far

I think there were countless embedded micro/macro bursts. When I was over at my sister in laws that morning near the southern connector right beside the old Bonnie Brae golf club I can remember looking outside and the downdraft was cutting down through the alleyways between the homes carrying the rain with it. I’ve never been in a Hurricane before so I really didn’t know what was normal and what was not but that’s what I was seeing with my naked eye. Certainly lot of pressure downward out of the sky.

Back