• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Huge gusts of wind (sounded like 50+ easily) just now and I just lost power. It is roaring. Hearing bangs on my roof. Worst since Matthew it appears.

The H85 winds are insane. Mixing down, I would NOT be surprised Savannah gets some hurricane force gusts before it's all said and done.

The H85 winds are insane. Mixing down, I would NOT be surprised Savannah gets some hurricane force gusts before it's all said and done.

Looking back in Florida lots of 70+ gust well east of the center...still looking like a decent NE component to her motion as well...

Huge gusts of wind (sounded like 50+ easily) just now and I just lost power. It is roaring in gusts. Hearing bangs on my roof. Easily worst here since Matthew (2016), which I wasn’t even here for due to evacuation, it appears
KSAV just gusted to 65knots / 75mph:

KSAV 270525Z AUTO 12044G65KT 10SM VCTS -RA SCT021 BKN029 OVC080
28/24 A2936 RMK AO2 PK WND 11065/0524 PRESFR P0000
T02780239=

KSAV just gusted to 65knots / 75mph

Wow, and here it is from the NWS:

0124 AM TROPICAL CYCLONE SAVANNAH AIRPORT 32.13N 81.20W
09/27/2024 CHATHAM GA ASOS

SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT MEASURED A
65 KNOT (75 MPH) WIND GUST. THE SUSTAINED WIND SPEED WAS
44 KNOTS (51 MPH).

This was certainly not predicted.

KCLX_loop.gif

Eye in the corner --those looking at the eastern component to the northerly direction can check back on this map. The eye started fully inside the map touching the left edge.

Last edited:
Wow, and here it is from the NWS:

0124 AM TROPICAL CYCLONE SAVANNAH AIRPORT 32.13N 81.20W
09/27/2024 CHATHAM GA ASOS

SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT MEASURED A
65 KNOT (75 MPH) WIND GUST. THE SUSTAINED WIND SPEED WAS
44 KNOTS (51 MPH).

This was certainly not predicted.
Damn, I just nowcasted the hell out of this. HRRR showing several more hours of possible gusts to hurricane force for Savannah. It's showing Augusta to 80mph in a few hours.

Helene refusing to bow down quietly tonight

The eye is currently sitting right now on the Berrien/Atkinson County line, that position is way east of the NHC map.
It appears to be moving due northeast, but should probably make a more northwardly move soon I would presume.

Back