• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Even though this area is far from the center (over 200 miles), sustained winds/gusts (to 40+) have increased substantially the last 30 minutes. Im hearing loud roars already from the wind. I just heard a nearby transformer blow. I expect power will likely be lost at some point here, perhaps very soon. GA Power outages are now starting to rise rapidly. This is going to be a very long rest of the night. It has already been a long night with the tornado warnings/heavy showers/gusty winds earlier. Stay safe folks!

Just heard another transformer blow. Debris hitting the roof.
The moles are holding a thrum in the underground lair for your safety. And I've got some extra rain if you need some, lol.

Check timestamps on your radars. Some of the sites are wonked out and old imagery b/c of power issues etc. I am using KTLH and it is working so far.
KTLH went down for over a half hour at landfall on my Allisonhouse feed. Disappointed, but it happens in events like these.

Just went out to check my buckets before the winds got so bad they'd tear up my umbrella. 10 3/4 for the show, 6 1/2 from Helene so far. I can't be more nuanced as I'm sticking a metal ruler into a 5 gal bucket while holding up my pants, and an umbrella, lol. Close enough to know it's already pretty much enough rain, but lots more on tap.

Just went out to check my buckets before the winds got so bad they'd tear up my umbrella. 10 3/4 for the show, 6 1/2 from Helene so far. I can't be more nuanced as I'm sticking a metal ruler into a 5 gal bucket while holding up my pants, and an umbrella, lol. Close enough to know it's already pretty much enough rain, but lots more on tap.
Fortunately after this moves through we get some dry weather for a few days.

WTNT64 KNHC 270501
TCUAT4

Hurricane Helene Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092024
100 AM EDT Fri Sep 27 2024

...EYEWALL OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE HELENE NOW MOVING
INTO GEORGIA AND ACCELERATING NORTH-NORTHEAST...
...100 AM EDT POSITION UPDATE...

Helene continues to produce catastrophic winds that are now pushing
into southern Georgia. This is an extremely dangerous and
life-threatening situation. Persons should not leave their shelters
and remain in place through the passage of these life-threatening
conditions. When in the eye, people are reminded to not venture out
in the relative calm, as hazardous winds will increase very quickly
when the eye passes.

A WeatherSTEM site in southern Lowndes County in Georgia recently
reported a wind gust to 88 mph (142 km/h). Another Weather Stem
site in Kinderlou, Georgia recently reported a minimum pressure of
952.2 mb (28.11 inches) in the eye of Helene.

A USGS tide gauge at Steinhatchee, Florida earlier reported a water
level 9.6 feet above mean higher high water, which is an
approximation of inundation in that area.

SUMMARY OF 100 AM EDT...0500 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.8N 83.5W
ABOUT 10 MI...20 KM WSW OF VALDOSTA GEORGIA
ABOUT 55 MI...90 KM ENE OF TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 26 MPH...42 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Papin/Beven

Valdosta, GA, about to be inside the eye.

KVAX_loop.gif

Back