• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

There it is, she is now cat 4.

Code:
WTNT64 KNHC 262218
TCUAT4

Hurricane Helene Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092024
620 PM EDT Thu Sep 26 2024

...HELENE NOW AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE...

A NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft currently investigating Helene 
recently found that the maximum sustained winds have increased to 
130 mph (215 km/h).  The minimum central pressure has also decreased 
to 947 mb (27.96 inches) based on dropsonde data.

SUMMARY OF 620 PM EDT...2220 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.0N 84.5W
ABOUT 120 MI...195 KM W OF TAMPA FLORIDA
ABOUT 165 MI...265 KM S OF TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 25 DEGREES AT 23 MPH...37 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...947 MB...27.96 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Bucci/Pasch

Big event for the NC mountains and escarpment. Asheville (Swannanoa river) Black Mountain, Old Fort, Marion, Upper Catawba river (Catawba Falls) going to rival Opal in 1996 which was extreme flooding. Catawba river in Pleasant Gardens I think will challenge record river gauge at 17.6

Big event for the NC mountains and escarpment. Asheville (Swannanoa river) Black Mountain, Old Fort, Marion, Upper Catawba river (Catawba Falls) going to rival Opal in 1996 which was extreme flooding. Catawba river in Pleasant Gardens I think will challenge record river gauge at 17.6

Asheville spent Millions on the River Arts District. Apartment complex just got approved. It will all be under water.

Interesting dynamic, IR is probably the best it has looked but the eyewall on radar has degraded tremendously on the western side over the past hour. That said that isn’t unexpected in hurricanes under these circumstances.

That said that eastern wall is a beast.
I think what you are seeing is that the radar beam isn't able to penetrate the Eastern eye wall twice, so you simply can't see it on radar.

Incredible to see hurricane warnings so far north. Still think ffc have wind gusts at my local athens too low. Only showing 50 to 60mph gusts while gsp has their southwest counties with gusts to 65. Fully expect hurricane force gusts here. Heavy rain currently..up to about 5.5 inches so far.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see FFC consider extending hurricane warnings further north into some NE GA counties. I’m curious if it’s even a possible scenario currently being discussed.

Back