• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

July Fry 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latitude makes a difference too. Is elevation more important than latitude ?

Absolutely when you're not talking about that much latitude, especially in the summer months. Look at all the average highs from Richmond to Philly, they aren't that different from Atlanta or Charlotte. Compare Charlotte to Asheville, which are closer in latitude, but a difference of 1400' feet in elevation. This is a reason that areas above 3000' or so feet in the southern Appalachians are considered an Oceanic climate. High temperatures are much lower the higher you go, but the lows don't drop as drastically.

That doesn’t cause any questions to arise ? Makes no sense , besides that station has been acting up for decades if the NCEI 91-20 normals are to be believed .
In the snapshot of July not really. Remember when the rdu sensor was "too hot" on highs then magically it wasn't. You might not even have been old enough then

If you take out the elsa day and 7/2 where CLT cleared before rdu would they be that different?

Last edited:
Lol. How is Charlotte 4 degrees warmer than Atlanta ? Charlotte hotter than Montgomery and Columbia ?

KATL (2.59”) has had twice as much rainfall as Charlotte (1.29”) MTD. That’s a significant and probably primary factor for the higher than normal difference in average highs so far this month.

KATL (2.59”) has had twice as much rainfall as Charlotte (1.29”) MTD. That’s a significant and probably primary factor for the higher than normal difference in average highs so far this month.

Yup. And we enter more of an active pattern, we will probably start to see those numbers move closer together.

I call bs on the Charlotte station, it is a massive outlier right now .
That’s at the airport and what’s odd is that things used to run a couple degrees too cool compared to other spots close by.

Yup. And we enter more of an active pattern, we will probably start to see those numbers move closer together.

Here’s even more reason KATL July highs have been 4 lower than Charlotte so far this month: not just July MTD rainfall but at least as importantly, June and May rainfall.

5/1/21-7/12/21 rainfall:

KATL 14.1”
Charlotte 6.84”

Huge difference that has resulted in very moist soils at Atlanta and somewhat dry soils at Charlotte.

Here’s even more reason KATL July highs have been 4 lower than Charlotte so far this month: not just July MTD rainfall but at least as importantly, June and May rainfall.

5/1/21-7/12/21 rainfall:

KATL 14.1”
Charlotte 6.84”

Huge difference that has resulted in very moist soils at Atlanta and somewhat dry soils at Charlotte.

Woah, I didn't realize ATL was that much wetter than Charlotte. But that's one station. I know I have had significantly more rainfall than KCLT.

5/1/21-7/12/21 rainfall:

KATL 14.1”
Charlotte 6.84”

I just don't understand why such a large difference in precip. Is something causing this big difference? I would think both cities would have a fairly similar climate in terms of precip.

I just don't understand why such a large difference in precip. Is something causing this big difference? I would think both cities would have a fairly similar climate in terms of precip.

High temperatures in summer are very strongly inversely correlated to soil moisture and is the primary reason i feel confident ATL won't have any heatwaves this summer. History tells me this.

High temperatures in summer are very strongly inversely correlated to soil moisture and is the primary reason i feel confident ATL won't have any heatwaves this summer. History tells me this.

This just hasn't felt like your typical summer here in the Atlanta area. It's pretty wet, but it's not that hot. There's been a few muggy days, but for the most part, this has probably been the best summer in many years here for comfortability. Oh how I wish this would translate to winter ;).

Yeah I miss mcs. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we tried to get a mcs like complex going late this weekend into early next week especially if we can get a little bit stronger energy to dive toward the arklatex and keep the flow W-E. Euro backed off slightly at 0z.

Want this stronger to the west and weaker over us otherwise it's a front passage
View attachment 86500
icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_fh129-165.gif

KATL had 11.51" of rainfall in May and June, combined. That makes it the 18th wettest out of 143 (~87th percentile).

I looked at all May-June periods at 10"+ of rainfall at KATL through 2020, which is 31 of them (22% of them). 25 of the 31 had July hottest below the longterm average July hottest of 95.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back