• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

I live near Chastain Park ITP and FFC has me below freezing three nights from Sun - Thurs. Seems like progress to me.
I know, I am just talking about the ridiculous broad brushed forecast that FFC does, they could at least say 27-33 etc, not just low 30s. We do not live in Mayberry.

I live near Chastain Park ITP and FFC has me below freezing three nights from Sun - Thurs. Seems like progress to me.
Looking at the 18z models so far, NAM has Atlanta metro barely touching freezing Monday and Tuesday morning. ICON doesn't get to freezing anywhere near Atlanta (low to mid 30's at best), GFS isn't in yet. RGM has Atlanta in the upper 20's on Tuesday morning but the Canadian's are always too cold. I'm thinking there is a good chance we stay above freezing through mid-week. It will warm after Tuesday, so maybe the freeze will hit on the 7th or 8th? Still, wayyyyy to late in the season for a hard freeze. At this point, all of my vegetation is starting to growing so I hope we don't get any sub 32 temps for the remainder of the winter.

Looking at the 18z models so far, NAM has Atlanta metro barely touching freezing Monday and Tuesday morning. ICON doesn't get to freezing anywhere near Atlanta (low to mid 30's at best), GFS isn't in yet. RGM has Atlanta in the upper 20's on Tuesday morning but the Canadian's are always too cold. I'm thinking there is a good chance we stay above freezing through mid-week. It will warm after Tuesday, so maybe the freeze will hit on the 7th or 8th? Still, wayyyyy to late in the season for a hard freeze. At this point, all of my vegetation is starting to growing so I hope we don't get any sub 32 temps for the remainder of the winter.
Look above, that is what I just said. What does "wayyyyy" too late in the season mean?

Must be a Miller B. NGA always gets hosed on the transfer.

They sometime do and often give NC much more wintry precip (that’s climo, bro). A GOM Miller A/+PNA combo is the best bet for a major ATL/N GA near pure snowstorm hands down even though NC will usually get more (again, climo) and sometimes a lot more.

They sometime do and often give NC much more snow (that’s climo, bro), but a GOM Miller A/+PNA combo is the best bet for a major ATL/N GA near pure snowstorm hands down even though NC will usually get more and sometimes a lot more.

How do us areas further west typically fare with the upcoming setup?

How do us areas further west typically fare with the upcoming setup?

For AL to get a significant snow from a Miller A/+PNA, the trough axis usually needs to be near or west of the Mississippi River. I can’t tell you chances in the upcoming setup doing just that (predicting snowstorms well in advance nearly impossible), but getting a +PNA is a big first step.

For AL to get a significant snow from a Miller A/+PNA, the trough axis usually needs to be near or west of the Mississippi River. I can’t tell you chances in the upcoming setup doing just that (predicting snowstorms well in advance nearly impossible), but getting a +PNA is a big first step.
How about areas further south along Montgomery and Phenix City Alabama asking for a friend? Basically what would need to happen for south Alabama to get a snowstorm?

How about areas further south along Montgomery and Phenix City Alabama asking for a friend? Basically what would need to happen for south Alabama to get a snowstorm?

I’d say WSW upper flow with a +PNA having upper trough axis near LA, Gulf surface low that forms in W GOM off NE Mexico and moves ENE well south of the coast.

Last edited:
Back