• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

Wow… very warm look on the euro, we’re def gonna torch before any changes lol 4F5B37B1-FF81-4DBF-B1A5-788030695300.png

One thing I notice by early jan is ensembles finally have cold air in the western US and even central US and not just in NW can/PNW, all we need is a shakeup at H5 and it can maybe move east, I really like that GFS evolution tho

Yeah, this may be noise, but I'm looking for anything!.....but the Aleutian ridge at the very end looked like it was creeping NE toward Alaska, and the heights near the pole were rising. This started to push to a more full CONUS trough, released the cold more into the CONUS, and pushed down the SE ridge. May be nothing, but if that's a future trend that would be great.

It could be completely gone this afternoon but I'm grasping.

1640184014767.png

Interesting. Maybe that helped to weaken the SER on the 6Z GEFS after day 10 vs earlier runs.

It looks like GEFS has found a strong pulse and wants to move. Euro still looks like a nascar race in phase 7. Maybe by the weekend we'll see the light at the end of the tunnel? Or maybe maybe tonight we'll see the oh no we suck again meme....again.

1640184682782.png

1640184736901.png

It looks like GEFS has found a strong pulse and wants to move. Euro still looks like a nascar race in phase 7. Maybe by the weekend we'll see the light at the end of the tunnel? Or maybe maybe tonight we'll see the oh no we suck again meme....again.

View attachment 98802

View attachment 98803
Either one of these is good for the SE in January.

I've always heard the Canadian ensembles were always underrated. :p??

If we do shake up the pacific, the ridge goes up to the poles, we keep the -NAO, that would certainly be believable in mid-January IMO. IF.

That's really the most frustrating thing about this, we've got ALOT going for us right now and it would only take a few tweaks to make a great pattern for us. But we're literally stuck at the precipice. We only need small push and we'll snowball down the mountain, literally!

I've always been a fan of these RMM component diagrams from Dr Schreck, it gives you nice insight into what's driving the RMM MJO signal. The convective anomalies are in the western hemisphere (phase 8), but U200 (upper-level zonal winds) are highly amplified over phase 6. A large component of this U200 is forced by wave breaking from the subtropics. I.e. the subtropics & mid-latitudes still think we're in RMM phase 6, even though the convective signal is in phase 8. Hence, we're gonna be warm thru late month.

rmm_variable.40.png

I've always been a fan of these RMM component diagrams from Dr Schreck, it gives you nice insight into what's driving the RMM MJO signal. The convective anomalies are in the western hemisphere (phase 8), but U200 (upper-level zonal winds) are highly amplified over phase 6. A large component of this U200 is forced by wave breaking from the subtropics. I.e. the subtropics & mid-latitudes still think we're in RMM phase 6, even though the convective signal is in phase 8. Hence, we're gonna be warm thru late month.

View attachment 98805
It’s always something. so frustrating

It’s always something. so frustrating

What I'm also saying is if we had the exact same mean RMM, but roles were reversed and U200 was leading the MJO into the W hem instead of OLR, we'd have a much different (more favorable) pattern. The RMM MJO index is nice but it really matters what the individual components are doing, esp U200, because that most strongly reflects onto the mid-latitude circulation pattern.

View attachment 98805

Here's a similar breakdown but now by longitude. The mean may be in phase 7, but the Pacific + W Hem that we care about still think we're in phase 5 or 6, which usually torch the eastern US.

rmm_longitude.40.png

What I'm also saying is if we had the exact same mean RMM, but roles were reversed and U200 was leading the MJO into the W hem instead of OLR, we'd have a much different (more favorable) pattern. The RMM MJO index is nice but it really matters what the individual components are doing, esp U200, because that most strongly reflects onto the mid-latitude circulation pattern.

What do we need to look for to get the U200 winds "coupled" with the convection? Any signs of that going forward?

What do we need to look for to get the U200 winds "coupled" with the convection? Any signs of that going forward?

Not until we can shake up the N Pacific storm track. U200 wind is more directly dependent both on convection and the extratropical circulation anomalies than other components of RMM because the extra tropics communicate to the tropics mainly through upper-level perturbations as Rossby Waves (which are strongest near the tropopause) break equatorward and move into the tropics.

Exactly. Why not just forecast that (U200) instead of the one folks have been following for the past several years. Obviously it means Dittly Squat. The U200 is what affects the 500mb circulation or longwave patterns downstream.

Back