• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Yeah the s/w over the Canadian prairies isn't dropping in at all, stays confined to central Manitoba, wow what a change from the last run. This won't even be close.

nam_z500_vort_us_22.png

Problem is, once you get further out here; the NAM starts in on some GFS data, especially with that secondary wave, along with whatever clusterf* that came out of the west to help jinx it. I would not doubt the GFS showing some kind of worse situation also. We shall see.

eidt* correct me if i am wrong. maybe 00z runs dont do that.

What's weird is the wave was west of all it's prior runs and starting to tilt, but ya the chaser wave was very slow

What's weird is the wave was west of all it's prior runs and starting to tilt, but ya the chaser wave was very slow
Agreed... so educate me here. I thought it was slower, west and starting to tilt also and and at the end of the run it looked like it still had a chance, especially for coastal regions, so what gives? Of course it is the NAM in the long range and it's subject to crazy stuff

Agreed... so educate me here. I thought it was slower, west and starting to tilt also and and at the end of the run it looked like it still had a chance, especially for coastal regions, so what gives? Of course it is the NAM in the long range and it's subject to crazy stuff
Ridge wasn't as tall so the chaser couldn't dive down. No phase=RUH ROH

I think it started very well, and IMHO the wave itself looked much better this run, in fact.....the further west with the wave itself. The bad part, was that the chaser didn't make it in time. I think** if that chaser is there quicker this would have been a much bigger deal.

I will also say, there is a really big area in the gom with strong UVV
*omega/lift* and moisture pooling up as well. So, we shall see what shakes loose on the globals tonight, we need that chaser...I Think NAM look with the main wave plus quick chaser....that could be great

Also, near the coast line there is lowering pressures and some nice omega/lift near the gulf stream

Ridge wasn't as tall so the chaser couldn't dive down. No phase=RUH ROH
I get that, the 18z NAM was headed for a possible phase late or at least trending that way it would appear and this run not even close but everything about this run was different from the beginning. Funny thing to me that energy that came in from the west coast seemed to help keep our s/w strong, consolidated and further west going almost neutral tilt at the end but I guess without the phase even if it were to go neutral to negative it wouldn't work. Anyway I wouldn't lose hope over one NAM run and may have to wait for the Ukmet and Euro to see if this is a "trend".... not gonna rely on the GFS that's for sure. edit: unless the GFS shows what we want lol

The overall trends thus far are similar to what the NAM had thru 36 hours. A slower trailer is fine as long as our lead wave is just as slow, but the trailer is slower relative to our main s/w so this is not what we wanted to see. The west coast ridge also looks a little weaker this time, which is also not good

Back