• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

So are you saying if the H5 look verifies, it may actually be under doing precipitation ando moisture and that's why we didn't see much on the maps?
So you're saying the EURO maybe underdoing precipitation and moisture levels due to issues it has if this look at H5 verifies?

If it phases sooner we'll see more moisture further west but it's going to take a lot to make this more than a Carolinas and maybe east Georgia event. Considering it's a phase situation the west trend likely isn't done but we're less than a week away.

So what is the most snow anyone here has had??

(Feel free to move this to banter) I've received 8 inches of snow four times in my life here in Fayetteville, once in the Carolina crusher of January 2000 which i apparently have absolutely no recollection of (since I was only 4 years old & really had little-no interest in studying meteorology or paying attention to the weather at the time). January 2002 which I can vaguely remember sledding down a monstrous dirt mound that was the beginning of several new subdivisions going up near my place.

Jan 2-3 2002 NC Snowmap.png

February 2004 (was a surprise storm around here, weren't expecting much, areas just to my south had nearly a foot-14" at point but it flipped to rain down there and severely cut into their totals, it changed over to sleet where I was but we avoided going over to all liquid).
February 26-27 2004 NC Snowmap.gif

The other occasion from 2 separate storms that both brought about 4" of snow, unexpectedly to Fayetteville and there was 8" on the ground momentarily before it changed over to sleet on the 12th.
Feb 11 2014 NC snowstorm.gif
NC snowstorm Feb 12-13 2014.gif

I haven't found a way to get over the 8" hurdle, I would be absolutely thrilled if I ever saw anything more here in either Raleigh or Fayetteville... Essentially every big dog I've seen has come virtually out of nowhere, being in the bullseye several days out rarely works

Ideally, where would we want the phasing to occur to bring the QPF on a more Westward traction? I think Chris said phasing on the Euro happened at 90hr.

Ideally, where would we want the phasing to occur to bring the QPF on a more Westward traction? I think Chris said phasing on the Euro happened at 90hr.

Basically I think delta, 1300m and I are all surprised the SFC low was as far as it was from the 500mb low. The look should have had more moisture and a closer SFC low so in essence it should have had more QPF back inland a little more...maybe not as dramatic as the UKMET but still you get the idda.

It would be awfully nice if this thing could end up taking the Jan 2000 track, or maybe just 20-30 northwest of that. That would make everyone in SC and NC who missed out on the first storm very happy.

Back