• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Great trends, trying not to get sucked back in but obviously much better. Would love to see a run like a few days ago that had a swath of snow across south Alabama.

5c918f1fc803cf68be2058f2668f9c05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting close for us in central SC

Even with all the good trends there is very little moisture to work with. We would have been better off with a southwest shortwave like Eric said, but I doubt we'll be this lucky by the time a shortwave does decide to crash into California.

This met can explain it better than I can, I'm not as familiar with it because we don't deal with norlun troughs here in NC except in the most rare cases and it's not entirely out of the question we see one here. Basically they're extrusions of low MSLP that extend NW from the parent low, they're extremely unpredictable and often poorly forecast by NWP, those underneath a norlun get absolutely hammered w/ snow.
http://www.mattnoyes.net/new_england_weather/2011/01/exactly-what-is-a-norlun-trough-and-how-do-you-forecast-weather-associated-with-it.html

Even with all the good trends there is very little moisture to work with. We would have been better off with a southwest shortwave like Eric said, but I doubt we'll be this lucky by the time a shortwave does decide to crash into California.

Ffs, can you please drop the California s/w crap. I already gave you a butload of examples from historical storms that showed it actually works for practically the entire board and the pattern doesn't look like it's going to warm up anytime soon as we near mid month.

Ffs, can you please drop the California s/w crap. I already gave you a butload of examples from historical storms that showed it actually works for practically the entire board and the pattern doesn't look like it's going to warm up anytime soon as we near mid month.
Okay. I was just saying. But what can we do to get a good moisture feed from this wave? Is it even possible?

Back