• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Midweek wave is not going to work for us, based on 00z NAM.

Yeah it does look pretty rough on the NAM but it was actually a little stronger just before crossing the border, it's the long range NAM and seems a little premature to see a trend just yet in the NAM anyway.... too soon
Probably not gonna matter later but this was the strongest yet at this timeframe

namconus_z500_vort_us_49.png

Yeah it does look pretty rough on the NAM but it was actually a little stronger just before crossing the border, it's the long range NAM and seems a little premature to see a trend just yet in the NAM anyway.... too soon
Probably not gonna matter later but this was the strongest yet at this timeframe

namconus_z500_vort_us_49.png

Yup, and as we saw, things just started to look slightly more interesting for the New Year's system so nothing is set in stone.

NAM at 78hr poked a blip of light blue MBY. Actually since the upgrade, the NAM actually slightly flattena waves more instead of overamping them like in the past. Doesn't really look like the wave survives anyway... precip shield split around LA, with some heading into TX with the remaining heading east and shunted south

Certainly wouldn’t write off much of anything after seeing the 00z NAM and the changes it made towards the NYD system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea we still have 3 days to score on this one. I would be happy with a small 2 inch snow out of this. It would stick around for a few days for sure .

I would like to note; that the JMA model isn't far off from the GFS in being too late: (12z run)

jma_z500_vort_us_7.png

)

Not a good looking start to the mid week system on the 00z nam already looks strung out to hell and back
1614f838510c494754d508b2515eea1c.jpg

If only we could have gotten that shortwave over Montana to shift about 5 degrees west and dive-bomb down into at least eastern Washington state and Nevada, we'd be sitting pretty. Oh well

If only we could have gotten that shortwave over Montana to shift about 5 degrees west and dive-bomb down into at least eastern Washington state and Nevada, we'd be sitting pretty. Oh well
That run was a step in the right direction. I am with you on the Pacific idea. If we are going to have a good pattern for an over-running event, it will have to come from southern Cali.

Nam being the nam and being way more aggressive New Year’s Eve
bd50fc1a7c9b95b607fce763bacda476.jpg

Now I'll say this December 8th storm it's ended up being the first caller in how amped it was and just this past Tuesday Wednesday overnight lil event it was one of first to show some area of more robust convection I mean its feeding into it's bias but so far this season mostly been right

Speaking of .. some convective blips are currently showing up very close to the GA/SC coastal regions... just had a ping of sleet or two pass thru

NAM Gets RA/SN mix into Midlands of SC that run for NYD. Not anything significant though.

Edit: 12KM looks horribly dry.

Yeah but for SE as a whole you compare that run to past 3 it's like a swimming pool compared to those runs

Shallow SSW flow above the wedge producing some weak isentropic ascent
Wondering looking at the current loop on accuweather se radar if anyone is getting any ground truth from NC echoes. You noticed pingers and that matches up well with that radar. In NC could be virga,but if not , it will take a trained flash flood light expert to report on. I'd post loop but isn't worth the hassle on the phone.

Back