• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

NYE/NYD system correct?
No, after. NYE/NYD system isnt going to amount to anything really.

I think we should narrow the dates of this thread down to NYE/NYD and take anything after that to either a new thread or the January topic for now. JMO.

So far this winter it's been the GFS showing good storms and the Euro the first to say no. Now we have the opposite. We all know how the former storms the GFS showed turned out to be. Hope having the Euro lead the way gives us better results.

nam_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_28.png
So is that the second wave potential in the pacific on this frame?

Always love to see energy for a SE storm coming out of Canada! lol. There better be a big time western ridge pop right after that...

Always love to see energy for a SE storm coming out of Canada! lol. There better be a big time western ridge pop right after that...
Yeah if it's coming down the Idaho stovepipe we've got a chance and it's close

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The GFS has been trending in the wrong direction w/ the Pacific NW s/w at day 2-3 of late (which was related to our New Years threat). We should be more concerned about this next storm in early January getting suppressed into oblivion instead of trending NW on us at the last minute because as long as there's a big vortex over SE Canada and New England which refuses to move out of the way, you're not going to see a low pull into the Apps or interior northeast.
c766ad69-6ddc-43f9-9e2e-b535b03d99f5.gif

I've only nominally researched storms over the past few years, but the Euro from last night reminded me of the 2/26/1914 storm. My area received a rather significant snowfall (roughly around five inches), but there was a sharp cutoff from about Tifton northwards with that storm. GaWx or someone else would probably know if the comparison was adequate.

Back