• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Wow, writing off winter before we even get in Jan? Interesting. I mean I’m playing with house money as I have already gone beyond my average annual snowfall, but I’m greedy!
Reasonably speaking, I have never seen a winter in which we get a large storm and then an even larger one. The only exception is maybe 2010 and 2011.

Alright, bear with me as I put this togethed but unbelievable similarities with this setup with Dec 1989.

For time saving sake I will post only the reanalysis maps..
Dec 23rd 1989, 6z
1989122306.gif

Look familiar in the progged setup vs Dec 1989. Although I will believe that our current setup favors more neutral tilt based on today's modeling at 12z...(hopefully we will get a more favorable low placement).

12z 12/23/17
1989122312.gif

Low is ariund 75°W but at 500mb, understandable with a still slightly positively tilted trough. The 12z suite jas it going neutral around AL/MS today. The 1989 event was LATER in the tilt.

Now we head to 12/24/89..
Closer to neutral but still thumped Eastern Carolinas, East GA and NE FL as well as eventually SE VA then out to sea.
1989122400.gif

Our current 12z guidance setup argues for a bit closer tug to our surface low with a quicker phase and bombing of the SLP pressure system .. once all the convective feedback mayhem settles.

We would have to have a complete failure of the Euro on the 500MB level and a different setup for a sudden shift like that. 0.00001% chance that happens. I say next winter! We're done here in N GA for large storms this year.
Jesus Christ, really man? It’s NYE for God’s sake

My goodness if the Euro had the phasing energy more consolidated on the map Webb posted earlier that would have been a monster....WOOF
I could see this legitimately trending as far west as Charlotte or Greensboro in NC but west of there I wouldn't given this much credence atm
So I take it you’re liking RDUs chance with the nw trend. I’m trying to temper my excitement.. for now

THANK YOU for giving reason here. That should end the wishcasting for us up here and over here in AL, N GA, and Upstate SC as well as W NC. It's dry completely between the DGZ and surface, so everything should evaporate.
The piece of energy have been phasing sooner and west each of the model runs.That's before even the sampling of the energy,which will be sampled tomorrow morning.I believe that Northern Georgia,Most of Alabama,central and Upstate South Carolina and maybe even Western North Carolina still have a shot .We are still 78-84 hours away from the system and systems trend west as we get closer.

I may be wrong in this statement, but I think that it actually snowed in places like Panama City and Pensacola, FL in 1989 before South Georgia/Coastal Carolinas got clobbered. It doesn't appear that such a thing will transpire in this situation unless this system really blossoms to the west.

Also as the 1989 event trough went NEG tilt, look what happened at the SFC low ...
1989122412.gif

Absolutely started deepening rapidly and retrograded a bit as the occlusion started taking place by then..

We would have to have a complete failure of the Euro on the 500MB level and a different setup for a sudden shift like that. 0.00001% chance that happens. I say next winter! We're done here in N GA for large storms this year.

I'm not real sure of that maybe after the first 10 days of Feb. that may be correct:rolleyes:

So I take it you’re liking RDUs chance with the nw trend. I’m trying to temper my excitement.. for now
I like the potential of the players we have on the field but like you I am trying to keep expectations in check. It would be just as easy to see 2-4 inches of snow as it would full sun with a stratus deck on the eastern horizon

I could see this legitimately trending as far west as Charlotte or Greensboro in NC but west of there I wouldn't given this much credence atm
The realistic best case scenario for this imo would be a flizzard to maybe a dusting in CLT-GSO with increasing amounts as you go east to the coastal plain. I'm not holding out much hope for this storm for my backyard but it's still fun tracking it.

Also as the 1989 event trough went NEG tilt, look what happened at the SFC low ...
1989122412.gif

Absolutely started deepening rapidly and retrograded a bit as the occlusion started taking place by then..
Storm...We'd need a phase to occur around Arkansas or Miss to help the interior portions of SC ,correct? I can't wait till our wave enters the US and we can get better model samples.

I may be wrong in this statement, but I think that it actually snowed in places like Panama City and Pensacola, FL in 1989 before South Georgia/Coastal Carolinas got clobbered. It doesn't appear that such a thing will transpire in this situation unless this system really blossoms to the west.
I believe the system could trend west enough to the point where the coast get nothing besides rain and maybe flurries on the backside.This system is becoming much more like January of 2000 and 1940 then December of 1989 by seeing the recent trends with the energy and storm track.

It did. We had a couple of precursor events as well much like Thursday night's light ice event and potential for later today/tonight.

My reanalysis comparisons above to our setup now makes me believe more are in the game this time compared to 1989

The one positive that anyone outside of the coastal areas has it that situations like this usually tend to trend NW and the models have been adopting this trend over the past few runs, but I'm honestly starting to think that it may not be enough for everyone to cash in. I would feel better the further east that I resided in the region, but nothing is set in stone at the current moment. However, this has the potential to be an event where locations in Georgia get more snow than places of a similar latitude in Alabama/Mississippi.

**IF that does indeed happen, probably have to look at a readjustment in the Miami low closer off Central FL coast which of course, follows more closely with the GS ... plus historically that's prime SFC low positions for significant Eastern Carolinas and SE GA snowfalls.
I agree!

Back