• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

I have some questions, what is going to stop the system from coming any further west? Is it because the trough is too deep? Even if there is a phase sooner, wouldn't that push everything back to the west? Also, what does the 500 numbers mean on the 500mb height anomaly chart? The numbers represent air pressures right?

to me the scary part is, given the 500mb look, I still think the low could come from the gom and over to just off shore. The RH continue to look better and better.
IF we get a low in the Gulf, that would be crazy. I might be crazy enough to agree with what you said earlier. However, if I see a low pop up in coming runs, then maybe game on for more people, and who knows? Maybe we can get some snow from N GA to N GA and then, just maybe, JHS can get his snow and everyone else in the Carolinas as well. Maybe I'm just wishcasting...

If it weren't for what my dad has told me with Jan 2000 (which again, I don't think is really recorded), I'd be 100% no, but as of now I'm 75% no. I certainly don't expect another Carolina Crusher like scenario, but there have been times in which Carolina (at least South Carolina) weather can apply to me.

I do think the most likely best case is the Georgia coast in this state but who knows?

Big upswing from RH at 850mb as well from southern Alabama, central and south (especially South and SE GA) and the coastal areas for SC And NC. *inland just SE of CAE* it increased a bit as well. *CAE and MCN in same boat attm* def. increases from CHS to RDU *again 850mb looking better. H7 looks fantastic in the above areas, and H7 outside of the areas look good too.

Lots of false hope for areas in Alabama and Georgia being spread around

Like what? Like snow in Birmingham or Atlanta? I know it's far fetched and wishcasting but the trends suggest it's possible unless u have a very good explanation as to how it's absolutely not possible?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's get a Jan 2000 repeat here in CAE and the rest of the eastern Carolina's! Those ratios would be ridiculous. With snow falling at such a colder temp and the ground and road temps being knocked down these next couple nights, an hour of light snow would give everything a coating i would bet. Hoping for more obviously.

I hope its not me?? To be clear there is No precipitation in AL at all...barely a blip or 2 in MS but there is some better coverage over S GA and def. SE GA

Gotcha, and to be clear to others I'm *not* expecting this to get back to the run which had 1-2 inches here, not at all, 99.5% chance it's dry here, but this is fun to track for sure.

I hope its not me?? To be clear there is No precipitation in AL at all...barely a blip or 2 in MS but there is some better coverage over S GA and def. SE GA
If trends continue, i can see a light event in south Al.

I
You're right, this is still 72hrs out and the euro has ticked closer on I believe the last what 6 runs in a row now? If this trend continues for another 24 to 48 hours, this is going to be a massive hit.

Edit: And I mean just 72hrs out from the phase.
I fully agree 100%. I will say though, it bothers me that there is soooooo much competition in the Western Atlantic *with regards to energy* and that can really train wreck this. We DEF need a fuller phase over AR, and the euro is getting there. *or trying too anyway*. Notice how the chaser wave is def stronger and quicker this run..its amazing because you see our wave get stronger as soon as they start to phase.

Back