• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

I am trying to remember if we got anything here from that system, I think we did, but I honestly don't remember.
Atlanta got significant precipitation from that storm, and that was way under predicted based on what I read. It was snow sleet and lots of freezing rain in North ga. Maybe the same happens in this case where moisture is underdone far north and not so much of a false hope. @Storm5

Big upswing from RH at 850mb as well from southern Alabama, central and south (especially South and SE GA) and the coastal areas for SC And NC. *inland just SE of CAE* it increased a bit as well. *CAE and MCN in same boat attm* def. increases from CHS to RDU *again 850mb looking better. H7 looks fantastic in the above areas, and H7 outside of the areas look good too.

**IF that does indeed happen, probably have to look at a readjustment in the Miami low closer off Central FL coast which of course, follows more closely with the GS ... plus historically that's prime SFC low positions for significant Eastern Carolinas and SE GA snowfalls.

Lots of false hope for areas in Alabama and Georgia being spread around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe there a good chance that this system could trend much father west.The trend has been that the pieces of energy phasing sooner and futher west. I say most Alabama and most of Georgia still have a shot for snow with the mid week system.

Atlanta got significant precipitation from that storm, and that was way under predicted based on what I read. It was snow sleet and lots of freezing rain in North ga. Maybe the same happens in this case where moisture is underdone far north and not so much of a false hope. @Storm5

Actually I think there was an ice storm in 2000 before the Carolina Crusher that affected the rest of the state.

Jesus , look at H5 this thing would need to be negative way further west then what’s being show to get snow in the places you mentioned . It’s very simple. As has been said 1000 times this is an eastern Carolina system MAYBE SE Georgia

Lots of false hope for areas in Alabama and Georgia , NC,being spread around

Yeah, would need huge, impossible shifts for that to happen!

Similar to the GFS, it appears the mid-levels especially near the dendritic growth zone are at or close to saturation over a large area inland from the Carolinas and GA, however the air is way too dry over north GA and extreme upstate SC and the central-western piedmont, closer to RDU it's doable with a dry layer extending only between 850 hPa and the surface
ecmwf_rh500_nc_13.png
ecmwf_rh850_raleigh_14.png

Similar to the GFS, it appears the mid-levels especially near the dendritic growth zone are at or close to saturation over a large area inland from the Carolinas and GA, however the air is way too dry over north GA and extreme upstate SC and the central-western piedmont, closer to RDU it's doable with a dry layer extending only between 850 hPa and the surface
View attachment 2493
View attachment 2492
Darn it!

View attachment 2493
View attachment 2492
THANK YOU for giving reason here. That should end the wishcasting for us up here and over here in AL, N GA, and Upstate SC as well as W NC. It's dry completely between the DGZ and surface, so everything should evaporate.

THANK YOU for giving reason here. That should end the wishcasting for us up here and over here in AL, N GA, and Upstate SC as well as W NC. It's dry completely between the DGZ and surface, so everything should evaporate.
Ugh.. too bad. I was hopeful but guess it's impossible. On to the next, if there even is a next

That’s where it stands as of now taken verbatim. That would obviously change if this thing bombed out sooner, resulting in it riding the coast.

I could see this legitimately trending as far west as Charlotte or Greensboro in NC but west of there I wouldn't given this much credence atm

Someone said that the UKMET pops a low in the Gulf which is possible. There maybe a weak surface low that pops up along the frontal boundary in the Gulf. Even if there will be a weak low, the moisture that will be associated with the low won't make it further north, due to an offshore flow. Now the main system that pops up in the southwestern Atlantic, I don't think that system will trend much further west. Even if the system does trend further west, I don't expect moisture reaching beyond west of the APPs. The mountains may get some snow due to lift, but it won't be from the main system. Eric can add better details onto this if he wants.

That’s where it stands as of now taken verbatim. That would obviously change if this thing bombed out sooner, resulting in it riding the coast.
We would have to have a complete failure of the Euro on the 500MB level and a different setup for a sudden shift like that. 0.00001% chance that happens. I say next winter! We're done here in N GA for large storms this year.

We would have to have a complete failure of the Euro on the 500MB level and a different setup for a sudden shift like that. 0.00001% chance that happens. I say next winter! We're done here in N GA for large storms this year.
Wow, writing off winter before we even get in Jan? Interesting. I mean I’m playing with house money as I have already gone beyond my average annual snowfall, but I’m greedy!

Back