• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Well folks....not going to work...it phases up nicely, just a bit too late. The lead wave was a bit slower and actually SW, but the chaser just doesn't get there in time...was actually about same timing from 12z, maybe slightly faster...unlike the GFS nam and cmc. I just don't know yall, I don't think its gonna happen...We shall see on the 12z runs for sure, but my optimism is going down quickly

RIP ?...What can cause the chaser to be faster than what is showing now? Seems the lead wave is doing what we want with being slower.

Well folks....not going to work...it phases up nicely, just a bit too late. The lead wave was a bit slower and actually SW, but the chaser just doesn't get there in time...was actually about same timing from 12z, maybe slightly faster...unlike the GFS nam and cmc. I just don't know yall, I don't think its gonna happen...We shall see on the 12z runs for sure, but my optimism is going down quickly

Its an absolute mess on the precipitation maps. Multiple areas of lower pressure, ew.

It looks similar to the 12Z Euro and closer than the 0Z GFS/CMC. E NC gets snow. Are we all looking at the same data?

Its an absolute mess on the precipitation maps. Multiple areas of lower pressure, ew.
I actually think the qpf and sfc maps should be a bit further west...the problem is there is so much vorticity flying all over the place

It looks similar to the 12Z Euro and closer than the 0Z GFS/CMC. E NC gets snow. Are we all looking at the same data?
Yes sir! you do get some precip, but it looked a bit lighter around you, unless I am seeing it wrong.

Yes sir! you do get some precip, but it looked a bit lighter around you, unless I am seeing it wrong.

Indeed, lighter, Chris. But there is still some wintry precip from SE GA through E NC. This is still worth following imo. I was reading similar kinds of negative things from folks on Friday with them ready to lock the thread and then they suddenly returned with excitement on Saturday. Unlike Friday, there is still measurable wintry, even though light, on land near the SE coast on the latest Euro. And though we're getting closer, there is still over 3 days to go. This could still shift NW. Is this Deja Vu all over again? I'm sensing people in GA/Carolinas taking out frustrations but not necessarily giving up yet. Get one better run tomorrow on any one major model & I expect many would return without hesitation and with optimism.

Indeed, lighter, Chris. But there is still some wintry precip from SE GA through E NC. This is still worth following imo. I was reading similar kinds of negative things from folks on Friday with them ready to lock the thread and then they suddenly returned with excitement on Saturday. Unlike Friday, there is still measurable wintry, even though light, on land near the SE coast on the latest Euro. And though we're getting closer, there is still over 3 days to go. This could still shift NW. Is this Deja Vu all over again? I'm sensing people in GA/Carolinas taking out frustrations but not necessarily giving up yet. Get one better run tomorrow on any one major model & I expect many would return without hesitation and with optimism.
I agree and I admit I will watch the models until the end. Lmao
Funny thing is I still can't help thinking that the SFC map is too far east. Given the H5 map and the lead wave actually further SW this run and the phase a bit earlier, things still so far SE. We shall see

I agree and I admit I will watch the models until the end. Lmao
Funny thing is I still can't help thinking that the SFC map is too far east. Given the H5 map and the lead wave actually further SW this run and the phase a bit earlier, things still so far SE. We shall see

By the way as I just posted in the main January thread, this 1/3-4 threat has been on the EPS at least since all of the way back to last Monday! So, the threat just won't go away.

I watched the precip entering the coastal areas, and realized it was 0.01 and stuff like that, which, with the cold, does that really even reach the ground? The trends just reversed tonight. It's going to take a good bit for this thing to cause a large Winter storm in the interior Carolinas. At this point, I am confident in saying interior GA is completely out of it.

I'll continue to watch to learn more, and then use it as a lesson going forward.

0Z EPS/GEPS qpf are nearly identical on land vs the 12Z EPS/GEPS. They have between 0.1" and 0.25" right along the coast and lesser amounts inland. Also, the 0Z EPS actually has the 0.75-1"+ mean area a little closer to the coast vs the 12Z EPS. So, despite the 0Z GFS/GEFS being a disappointment trendwise, I hardly can call there a clearcut trend away from a threat in N FL, SE GA, and the E Carolinas based on the 0Z EPS/GEPS essentially holding serve with 0.05"+ qpf 50-100 miles inland on the 0Z EPS mean and it still being 3.5 days away.

I watched the precip entering the coastal areas, and realized it was 0.01 and stuff like that, which, with the cold, does that really even reach the ground? The trends just reversed tonight. It's going to take a good bit for this thing to cause a large Winter storm in the interior Carolinas. At this point, I am confident in saying interior GA is completely out of it.

I'll continue to watch to learn more, and then use it as a lesson going forward.

Shawn,
Both the 0Z EPS and GEPS mean have quite a bit more qpf than just 0.01" in the coastal strip. It is actually between 0.10"-0.25", absolutely nothing to sneeze at and no less than the 12Z versions for the most part.

Edit: Even the drier 0Z GEFS still has a mean of 0.05-0.10" on the coast.

Shawn,
Both the 0Z EPS and GEPS mean have quite a bit more qpf than just 0.01" in the coastal strip. It is actually between 0.10"-0.25", absolutely nothing to sneeze at and no less than the 12Z versions for the most part.

Edit: Even the drier 0Z GEFS still has a mean of 0.05-0.10" on the coast.

The low pressure centers were far off shore on the EPS mslp map I just took a look at, I will have to investigate.. but are you sure those do not include tomorrow's possible precip?

The low pressure centers were far off shore on the EPS mslp map I just took a look at, I will have to investigate.. but are you sure those do not include tomorrow's possible precip?

100% sure

And this likely is the run that will get some people excited again, the 6Z GFS. Well, I sure like it as it is the only of at least the last 4 GFS runs with 0.5"+ of snow somewhere on the GA coast. It actually has a 1" max way down in far SE GA south of Brunswick!

Edit: Folks, this run has 1" of qpf a mere 75 miles E of Jacksonville, FL, and Brunswick, GA! 1"! The potential to be something historic for portions of the SE coast is very much in play. Just another 75 mile NW trend would very likely mean wx history for some SE coastal folks with longtime records possibly broken. With still just over 3 days before it would even start, a 75 mile NW shift is a very realistic possibility. To think
that there is a nontrivial chance that an historic multiple inches of snow will be on the ground near the coast 3 days from now with hardly any of the general public realizing anything of the sort is such an enjoyable feeling. Of course, it could quite easily still end up as nothing. Regardless of what ends up happening and still though not modeled as a major storm, the current potential continues to be by a country mile the biggest threat of a major winter storm in this area in nearly 30 years. There could easily be not even another threat only a few days out like this on models for another 30 years based on climo. So, I have no choice but to at least soak in the threat while it is still there.

Last edited:
And this likely is the run that will get some people excited again, the 6Z GFS. Well, I sure like it as it is the only of at least the last 4 GFS runs with 0.5"+ of snow somewhere on the GA coast. It actually has a 1" max way down in far SE GA south of Brunswick!

Edit: Folks, this run has 1" of qpf a mere 75 miles E of Jacksonville, FL, and Brunswick, GA! 1"! The potential to be something historic for portions of the SE coast is very much in play. Just another 75 mile NW trend would very likely mean wx history for some SE coastal folks with longtime records possibly broken. With still just over 3 days before it would even start, a 75 mile NW shift is a very realistic possibility. To think
that there is a nontrivial chance that an historic multiple inches of snow will be on the ground near the coast 3 days from now with hardly any of the general public realizing anything of the sort is such an enjoyable feeling. Of course, it could quite easily still end up as nothing. Regardless of what ends up happening and still though not modeled as a major storm, the current potential continues to be by a country mile the biggest threat of a major winter storm in this area in nearly 30 years. There could easily be not even another threat only a few days out like this on models for another 30 years based on climo. So, I have no choice but to at least soak in the threat while it is still there.

I get where you are coming from Larry. Most are greedy and want it in their back yard. You along with quite a few other deserve it though! Just like the Thurs/Fri threat, you'll probably see the thread die off versus you guy's area. Sadly. I'll check in time to time though. Hopefully it makes it up to Mike & Chris's way too!

SAV, CHS, MCN are rare to get winter wx in.

Back