• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

Am I right in assuming that the fv3 model brings the cold air in quite a bit before the rain moves out in order to get the snow all the way to the gulf coast in LA, Miss, ALa and Fla panhandle?

All in
083aa36ad26d533ca12a92d85dc4857c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Central MS scores with this run of the Euro. I'd be very happy with this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He also said that the boom potential was highly unlikely. But mentions it because occasionally you get an area with more convective bands that setup (sweet spot) with heavier rates.....

I am really surprised with how aggressive Spann is being. His "boom" says 4" but I don't really see anything that indicates 4" is a real possibility for Birmingham.
Spann is thinking models could be underplaying the intensity of the cold air. This means a quicker change and leading to a possible longer duration of snow in some spots.

They are often wrong and too aggressive . Not always , but often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bham and other NWS offices use them for these events, it is much better than the global models now
the SREF
mean has increased to near 1.5 inches for Birmingham. Several
SREF members are now in the 2 to 4 inch range as well.

SREF at 2.55 up here at Hunstville

Back