• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

Does anyone know why the Euro model shows the snow becoming rain at the back edge of the precip shield in Central MS? It shows the freezing line south of Jackson. Does it have to do with the precip rates?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All the Metreologist waking up on this one I bet we are basically 4 days out from the start of this event and alot of model agreement is starting to come forward including potential avenues for this becoming a broader event

Perhaps a met or one of our many knowledgeable amateurs can speak to the sharp accumulation cutoff on the Euro once you get SE of metro Atlanta and west central Georgia. The Euro shows some moderate snow in central Georgia at hour 108 with sub-freezing temps. Does that frame indicate what is taking place at that hour or what took place over the previous 6 hours? Perhaps it's an issue with temps or precip rates or both. Thanks for the reply and the many great contributions to this forum.

Perhaps a met or one of our many knowledgeable amateurs can speak to the sharp accumulation cutoff on the Euro once you get SE of metro Atlanta and west central Georgia. The Euro shows some moderate snow in central Georgia at hour 108 with sub-freezing temps. Does that frame indicate what is taking place at that hour or what took place over the previous 6 hours? Perhaps it's an issue with temps or precip rates or both. Thanks for the reply and the many great contributions to this forum.

It is probably 6hrs behind. It will say at the top left. You can get SIM reflectivity from weather.us to confirm.

It has to do with the mountains, the mountains are holding back the cold from "reaching" over those areas. But, there could be some flurries with little to no accumulations.

Wow, Euro is even giving central NC some love with a couple of inches. Some positive runs today for NC.
You can thank the development of a low from this system. However, if I were you, I'd hope for this to stay weak. If we get a stronger low and a better tilt, it could develop into a Miller A and completely shaft RDU with a cold rain. I don't see that as likely right now but you never know.

Well IF, and it is a big IF, a low does form along the boundary then areas further east over the mountains could get a little accumulation but with the EURO bias to enhance precip, I would wait for another model to show this before I would jump on it. Cut the precip amount on the EURO by 1/2 to 2/3rds (talking east of the mtns here) and you would be closer to reality IMO

I see the words moderate. When the local mets start using those words it's a good sign. I wonder what those maps do differently and if his interpretation is different because I see 2 to 3 inches up here and in ATL using a 10:1 ratio while neither show such on other sites.

Back