• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

Lol they deleted the thread for this storm on American, so it's obviously happening now. Really tho, I think it was premature to do that on their part, there's definitely some signal for anafrontal-type system with rain changing to snow depending on the depth & forward propagation of the oncoming arctic airmass, we're still a few days from ironing out details however.

Tell you what... I know one North Alabamian that’ll be pissed if we get left out again while central /south alabama gets snow again
I wouldn't worry about it because of the GFS/FV3 18Z runs, especially since the Euro looked so good and the GEFS mean still has a good one.

Lol they deleted the thread for this storm on American, so it's obviously happening now. Really tho, I think it was premature to do that on their part, there's definitely some signal for anafrontal-type system with rain changing to snow depending on the depth & forward propagation of the oncoming arctic airmass, we're still a few days from ironing out details however.
If you aren't near the Atlantic coast or something they don't consider it an event to follow?

They must not have any members left from MS and AL. I mean, those two areas look to get at least "something", even if it's light.

They must not have any members left from MS and AL. I mean, those two areas look to get at least "something", even if it's light.
Yeah they're 85% Carolinas, and the rest is a member here and there plus the VA people. They don't care if it doesn't affect their region, only their backyards exclusively. Funnier thing is deleting a thread prevents people from going back and looking at what lead up to the failure or success.

Kinda lookin meh east of the apps, still time
Yeah there is time but I think the people in NC/SC, and Northern Ga. will have to wait for mid to late February to have their chances. The western areas of the SE will be the most likely target for Wintry precip until then IMO. (If blocking does actually develop then the northern and more eastern portions of the SE)

I also want to say I DO think we need a wave to develop or there will be a ton of pissed off people. I’m very skeptical of a front having that much precip with it. They usually dry out.

One last thing... this will likely be one of those cases where the cold air will squeeze every bit of moisture available. Interesting storm.

If we get the FV3 look and a stronger wave, I could see the event turning significant for a pretty good area. The 18z ICON wasn't far from doing so as well at the end of it's range.

Yeah they're 85% Carolinas, and the rest is a member here and there plus the VA people. They don't care if it doesn't affect their region, only their backyards exclusively. Funnier thing is deleting a thread prevents people from going back and looking at what lead up to the failure or success.

This sums it up perfectly, and its pathetic on their part.

Might be the 84 hour nam but if it was to go out even further it would probably look better, energy is much more consolidated/stronger and the western part of that energy does not look as sheared as what the globals are saying, that would definitely let precip survive east of the apps

Last edited:
It's trying to tap into moisture off the Atlantic this go (associated with weekend fail system/low). ruh roh.

Back