• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

So now we get the snow hole in north Alabama according to these runs?

18z gefs through next Friday

Clearly some members develop a second wave
91dc2450c38f051899ba6c976ebbeff3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We want to pv to not press so much initially, so us folks In nc/sc can get in on that wave and it not be crushed to the south, I like the fv3 setup it’s just a little to far south with the developing wave but then gets crushed by the pv iron press lol

We want to pv to not press so much initially, so us folks In nc/sc can get in on that wave and it not be crushed to the south, I like the fv3 setup it’s just a little to far south with the developing wave but then gets crushed by the pv iron press lol
GFS is likely too progressive with the PV push but I couldn’t really say that with much certainty. It’s just such a fickle setup if you want to see snow fly

If I’m not mistaken a thing that helped our snow rates out last year in the Nc Piedmont was a lee trough aiding in precip development

Also I could see this turn into another mess for the big cities (if we actually have the precip) if people don’t take the arctic front for real. This one has potential if that wave does develop.

I also want to say I DO think we need a wave to develop or there will be a ton of pissed off people. I’m very skeptical of a front having that much precip with it. They usually dry out.

One last thing... this will likely be one of those cases where the cold air will squeeze every bit of moisture available. Interesting storm.

Last edited:
If you look at the GEFS grams like Stormlover posted above, you can see where they are really keying in on a separate system right around the first of the month, and the first one is a trace-3 inch type deal. I’ve been looking at those charts for the past two days, and this is a new thing to my eye.

Back