• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

6Z GFS tried to get the northern stream to dive in earlier - that was close to a much bigger run. It seems like the two best options for the storm are either 1) have the southern wave slow down and allow the high to build in faster or 2) have this northern wave speed up and interact with the wave to drive in some very cold air and set off bombogenesis off the coast.

gfs_z500_vort_namer_fh156_trend.gif

6Z GFS tried to get the northern stream to dive in earlier - that was close to a much bigger run. It seems like the two best options for the storm are either 1) have the southern wave slow down and allow the high to build in faster or 2) have this northern wave speed up and interact with the wave to drive in some very cold air and set off bombogenesis off the coast.

View attachment 67054
Am I wrong in thinking with the 2nd option we do run the risk of it being a little more N/NW?

Am I wrong in thinking with the 2nd option we do run the risk of it being a little more N/NW?
No, you're definitely right about that. But, with the amount of cold that would be injected into the storm, I think we would easily rake in the snow. In fact, I think that type of solution would likely put your area in the bullseye and probably for some pretty incredible totals if it happened.

gfs_T850_us_fh150-168.gif

Agree but I'd say wait until then and if after the 12z models Sunday things still look good..... fire it up
Something I liked from the WRAL video is how they broke down the tracking of winter storms. At day 7-9 all you can really do is look at the pattern. The details are really useless at this range. Then at day 5-7 you're looking at the trends (up or down). Finally below day 5 you're looking at timing and precip types. This could help guide us for when we create a thread.; which I think should always be at or after day 5.

Back