• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

What's all this I'm hearing about after the ssw the pv goes to Siberia. Did our unicorn fail again?

Jason Furtado twitter
50 hPa #PolarVortex following trend of modeled mid-to-upper stratospheric #PolarVortex with a displaced vortex into northern Asia. This pattern actually follows the trend of the past couple of decades for the vortex to be located more over Eurasia than North America

What's all this I'm hearing about after the ssw the pv goes to Siberia. Did our unicorn fail again?

Jason Furtado twitter
50 hPa #PolarVortex following trend of modeled mid-to-upper stratospheric #PolarVortex with a displaced vortex into northern Asia. This pattern actually follows the trend of the past couple of decades for the vortex to be located more over Eurasia than North America
More one than the other!? Sounds like a split, but I’ll take a witches cold tit at this rate. ??

Jason Furtado twitter
It's not ideal but it's also not a killer.

Yeah as long as the Pacific can tap into it, we'll be fine. I'm also curious if the ssw is still coupling and prolonging the -nao, or no. I'll take that as a consolation prize.
Yeah I'd like to see the euro maps on that the gfs really didn't do well and the Canadian hates the stratospheric pv so it's hard to believe. Either way like you said as long as we can capitalize on the enhanced potential for high latitude blocking we are fine

GFS is better than the 18z. Back to glory this run.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_24.png

Back