• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Not a huge surprise but the euro control and mean both shifted south with the snow line. That’s been the trend, hard to deny it with every global doing it.
Needs to go a lot further south than that to put central nc legitimately in the game. Can’t deny the trend but you can’t deny how marginal this is and how the precip is being generated, mostly via warm advection. Can’t recall a single setup over the years where this wasn’t under forecast by NWP. Global models rarely if ever will properly handle it or are good to use as a gauge for the rain-snow line in these kinds of setups.

Needs to go a lot further south than that to put central nc legitimately in the game. Can’t deny the trend but you can’t deny how marginal this is and how the precip is being generated, mostly via warm advection. Can’t recall a single setup over the years where this wasn’t under forecast by NWP. Global models rarely if ever will properly handle it or are good to use as a gauge for the rain-snow line in these kinds of setups.
Furthermore, if the timing is literally any different than it is now, the boundary layer will be warmer than shown because as it stands the heaviest precip comes late in the overnight and early morning on the 9th.

I may be wrong but aren’t the Euro and ICON the highest res models of the Global’s? Shouldn’t they pick up on these mesoscale features more so than others?

We’ve done well in marginal set ups this year as they usually preform a bit colder than we expect .. this one is marginal but it’s on the colder side I can see this being a boom bust scenario for sure .. I also can tell we’re going to be NAMD with this one and I’m trying to prepare

I may be wrong but aren’t the Euro and ICON the highest res models of the Global’s? Shouldn’t they pick up on these mesoscale features more so than others?
Additionally this really comes down to the synoptic scale track and I'd put more stock in the ensembles consistency at this range. If you actually look at the H5 vorticity field the euro has been pretty erratic the past few runs.

Basically all global suck in showing precip type evolution where warm advection is the primary forcing for ascent and ensembles aren’t much better because they’re even coarser than the op. I’ll be enthused when I see a bit more cold air injection initially, CAMs getting in range to resolve the warm nose and the upper low tracking further south because it’ll temper the warm advection and give us more wiggle room to work with

We’ve done well in marginal set ups this year as they usually preform a bit colder than we expect .. this one is marginal but it’s on the colder side I can see this being a boom bust scenario for sure .. I also can tell we’re going to be NAMD with this one and I’m trying to prepare
Yeah, but we don't do well with warm noses, which as Eric has been alluding to, the track screams it. He's just setting us up so we don't get dissapointed.

We have yet to perform well in a single marginal setup this year, the only accumulating snow we’ve seen east of the mountains in nc was on Xmas morning and that was not a marginal setup by any means wrt cold air

Yeah, but we don't do well with warm noses, which as Eric has been alluding to, the track screams it. He's just setting us up so we don't get dissapointed.
Yep lol just trying to temper expectations atm because experience in these setups says any snow and especially accumulation east of the mtns would be a win. Don’t get enthralled with model snow or p type maps esp this far out

8-9 times out of ten when you got warm advection like this showing up on the models, it’s gonna bust warmer/less snow/further NW.

8-9 times out of ten when you got warm advection like this showing up on the models, it’s gonna bust warmer/less snow/further NW.
Well I hope this is that 1/2 times that it goes well lol.. valid concerns though I definitely would not want a warm nose pulling up like it has in recent years events .. at least it’s trend-able at this point .. many models to go before were close to a final solution

Back