• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

This post clearly shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about (as usual). Declaring winter is over as you've prematurely done more than once here the last few weeks means there's absolutely no chance of it coming back and we immediately move onto spring, there's a big discrepancy between saying that and winter is taking a break. Seems pretty obvious here you don't understand the difference between the two.

"As I see it as of now, just some cold shots with some minor frozen precipitation outside of the mountains through late month into early February"

This is based on what exactly? You're speaking in absolutes and already talking about specifics wrt who will get snow & who won't, roughly how intense those cold shots & storms will be for a mediocre pattern that probably won't verify a few weeks to a month from now. This is a good way to have egg on your face, as you've probably experienced several times this winter when you were making winter storm threat maps for a storm that was over a week away & don't be shocked if everyone laughs at you in a couple weeks for declaring winter was over last week.

You've overcorrected for your far too overzealous mannerism, you need to find the happy medium/middle ground and learn to not speak in absolutes or discuss ANY specifics in a pattern more than a week or two in advance as you've done here, let alone make winter storm maps for events that over 6-7 days away. That is just as bad as someone declaring winter is over or that we're going to have a "pants exploding" winter storm based on a singular 300+ hour operational model run.

Pretty sure this would be better for a P.M. No need to publicly humiliate the guy.

Did some number crunching... with the Euro EPS predicting 6 days (so far) of 44 or below for RDU. There have been 46 such runs 6 days or more. Of those 46 streaks, I found only 5 such streaks without snowfall. So 89.1% of the time we get snowfall when we fall at or below 44 for 6 straight days... So as to not overwhelm the data, I didn't include January 2000 which obviously would create such a streak. Average snowfall during such streaks is ~2.8-3.4", with many trace events as the median is below the average until we get to streaks of 13-15 days (N=10) and the median approaches the mean.

edit: 5 such steaks without snow not 4, so adjusted %

I do like how the ensembles are progressing, but it is a little troubling that neither the GFS or the Euro Ops are all that cold. I realize the pattern really isn't getting going till around D10 or after, but you'd think we'll have to start seeing some consistency in the operationals sooner or later.

Yeah I was bummed as well about two straight unimpressive op runs from the GFS. I hope it’s not a harbinger. Could have sworn it was the first to hint at the cold and gave us a couple of intriguing runs. The GEFS then came on board and the Op now backing away. There are certainly better informed people than I on here so I’m sorry if this is totally off base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well anyone have the 12z Euro run? Just curious on what it had to say...

The Euro’s not too far off from something.
d8e10e91cc20798757fd7e28303e92b9.jpg
fe070767c7a4ea95c8366a5bf088a6ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can’t get any better than this signal right here, you have all teles in your side, whatever storm that forms would amp up quick with this type of look, still no specifics but that’s a good signal
Difference vs that last bowling ball system was that +EPO/no source of cold so it was just a big ol rain event, this would definitely provide us with a better injection of artic air, it’s still very LR tho but it’s a good signal (gefs) 9C035AE8-E1D7-4EAB-BF0A-DD185EDE3CBA.png6A362518-2BB4-4E66-B1A7-6F9B229CD5B7.png9C42FE7E-F5A6-44DB-961D-65057646074E.png

The euro was god darn close to something big almost as classic as you get .. move the axis a bit more to the west and boom we have a ring dinger for sure ... with that look on operational one can only imagine the scenarios on the EPS ... I would say if the EPS again increases snowfall mean or stays similar to 00z then we have a legit potential here folks ... the positivity is here let’s reign it in

Found it in an old text! Did NC or anyone get anything during this period? If so than this time could be different if the mean I posted included a storm that actually happened in the short term and this mean includes that. View attachment 30340
Eastern NC/SC ended up having a good snowstorm on 1/3 or 1/4/2018... Charleston has 5 or 6 inches

This post clearly shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about (as usual). Declaring winter is over as you've prematurely done more than once here the last few weeks means there's absolutely no chance of it coming back and we immediately move onto spring, there's a big discrepancy between saying that and winter is taking a break. Seems pretty obvious here you don't understand the difference between the two.

"As I see it as of now, just some cold shots with some minor frozen precipitation outside of the mountains through late month into early February"

This is based on what exactly? You're speaking in absolutes and already talking about specifics wrt who will get snow & who won't, roughly how intense those cold shots & storms will be for a mediocre pattern that probably won't verify a few weeks to a month from now. This is a good way to have egg on your face, as you've probably experienced several times this winter when you were making winter storm threat maps for a storm that was over a week away & don't be shocked if everyone laughs at you in a couple weeks for declaring winter was over last week.

You've overcorrected for your far too overzealous mannerism, you need to find the happy medium/middle ground and learn to not speak in absolutes or discuss ANY specifics in a pattern more than a week or two in advance as you've done here, let alone make winter storm maps for events that over 6-7 days away. That is just as bad as someone declaring winter is over or that we're going to have a "pants exploding" winter storm based on a singular 300+ hour operational model run.
Okay, fair enough! That comment I made saying, as I see as of now, just some cold shots with minor chances outside of the mountains is based off of thinking realistically. This is the southeastern US and most of the time, no major winter storms verify that shows up in the mid to long range. The pattern is crap and it's January, the time window is already cut short for a winter storm this month.

So what that I made snow/winter storm maps that turned out wrong. At least I tried and put some serious effort into them. If I don't know what I'm talking about or if I get something wrong about the models, just say so. Just don't sit there and say, "you don't know what you're talking about" or saying I basically suck. I could have huge potential in the meteorology field by providing custom maps and predictions, but I can't never improve my predictions if nobody never helps me out if I'm wrong about something. I get bashed every winter year and I'm so over it. If nobody helps me with my predictions and sits there saying, "you don't know what you're talking about" everytime, I'll just stop posting then, good grief.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

It is highly unlikely (but not impossible) to have two storms back to back, only drawback is that the sky has to have time to heal. I seem to remember 2 storms back to back in 1979 or 1980 but my memory ain't what she used to be.

Back