• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

This is why you can’t follow the operational model runs.. people say don’t trust the ensembles but honestly both gefs and euro have continued to up the snow and ice and winter weather possibilities in the future .. this is more than noise to me this is a clear sign of something that’s coming if the euro holds strong with its ensemble members this afternoon then fook it LETS FIRE UP THE THREADDDDDDD ... okay maybe not a thread yet but goodness gracious if we keep this up we’re going to be needing a lot of threads in the near future

Here's the list of winter storms that have occurred in MJO phase 7 during January since 2000:

Some winters we got more than one storm.
Since 2000, 8 of 10 trips to RMM MJO phase 7 have produced a winter storm (at least a minor event) in east-central NC w/ 2009 & 2016 being the only duds. 2009 didn't miss by much (the president's day storm showed up in phase 8 instead) & in 2016 we were still hungover from the warmest December (& arguably the most anomalous month period) on record, which is a huge outlier and obviously not happening this year. On average, about 1 storm

January 2-3 2002
January 9 2004
January 17 2008
January 19 2008
January 29-30 2010
January 17-18 2011
January 22 2011
January 17-18 2013
January 28-29 2014
January 13-14 2015
January 26-27 2015

Here's the composite hemispheric 500mb anomaly pattern for these events. Strong North Pac low undercutting a block in the far North Pacific (-EPO/-WPO) coupled w/ a +PNA is usually how we get the job done in MJO phase 7 during January.
View attachment 30307

Rather unsurprisingly, this is pretty close to the composite pattern during RMM Phase 7 in January:

View attachment 30312

It's also generally not that dissimilar from the GEFS & EPS forecasts. While I think the GEFS has a strong -EPO bias, a legit -EPO is likely going to verify here.

Hopefully, you didn't think winter was over.
View attachment 30315
View attachment 30314

The point of this post obviously is if we reach MJO phase 7 in week 2-3, I think we're going to crank out at least one, maybe 2 winter storm(s) in east-central NC w/ 80% of trips to MJO phase 7 in January producing wintry weather in NC during the 2000s & 2010s.

The upcoming pattern change is coming a few days quicker (~Jan 21) than I initially suspected (Jan 25-30) back in mid December, and I think the window for us to score a winter storm is pretty large this time (unlike in early January), encompassing roughly the last 10 days of January. (Jan 22-31)

Let's reel one in.

Wait and post again at the end. Half of the members have a major SE winter storm at hour 384. Geez! I can't wait to see you post the Weathermodels map that counts all frozen as snow. You rarely see this much agreement in the long range.
It's truly a thing of beauty especially seeing a lot of storms start at D10. IF the GEFS is close to right, there would be a good stretch where we could see a perfect pattern for snow with extended cold. What excites me more is the 0Z EPS looks similar to the GEFS at the end, so if we get the 12Z suite in and they come close and there are some EPS members that look good, we're on a good path.

This is why you can’t follow the operational model runs.. people say don’t trust the ensembles but honestly both gefs and euro have continued to up the snow and ice and winter weather possibilities in the future .. this is more than noise to me this is a clear sign of something that’s coming if the euro holds strong with its ensemble members this afternoon then fook it LETS FIRE UP THE THREADDDDDDD ... okay maybe not a thread yet but goodness gracious if we keep this up we’re going to be needing a lot of threads in the near future
Meh I've seen 100% of GEFS members give me 7+ inches of snow within 48 hours and been goose egged.

Remember the setup last January, where the OP's were bad, but the EPS was still onboard, so we kept on going, unfortunately, the ensembles caved. Granted that was in short-range, this is 10 days out, so I'm going to give the Op's a pass at this range, and focus more on ensembles. I don't think we're close enough to follow the Euro, but we all know the GFS is trash.

Remember the setup last January, where the OP's were bad, but the EPS was still onboard, so we kept on going, unfortunately, the ensembles caved. Granted that was in short-range, this is 10 days out, so I'm going to give the Op's a pass at this range, and focus more on ensembles. I don't think we're close enough to follow the Euro, but we all know the GFS is trash.
Yes I do understand all of this and agree that we must be cautious because we’ve been burned before .. but ensembles in general terms are suppose to warn you of a storm signal or pattern change happening in the future so maybe if we can block out all the hurt we’ve been feeling the past couple years maybe they are really trying to show us something here ... I think if we do end up getting a storm in this time period we can put a little more faith into modeling

I honestly would hate to say winter is over for good for the rest of this season. Is it over for now? Yes, imo it is, 60s and 70s for highs down my way (Northeast of ATL) through mid month. If the pattern doesn't change into a favorable colder pattern by mid February, winter would but cut short. As I see it as of now, just some cold shots with some minor frozen precipitation outside of the mountains through late month into early February. Who knows how February is going to shape up at this point. I hate being sarcastic and negative and I'm normally not this way. But the fact is, soon as we get into January the pattern has to go into a train wreck and that's what gave me a "beating" this winter.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

This post clearly shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about (as usual). Declaring winter is over as you've prematurely done more than once here the last few weeks means there's absolutely no chance of it coming back and we immediately move onto spring, there's a big discrepancy between saying that and winter is taking a break. Seems pretty obvious here you don't understand the difference between the two.

"As I see it as of now, just some cold shots with some minor frozen precipitation outside of the mountains through late month into early February"

This is based on what exactly? You're speaking in absolutes and already talking about specifics wrt who will get snow & who won't, roughly how intense those cold shots & storms will be for a mediocre pattern that probably won't verify a few weeks to a month from now. This is a good way to have egg on your face, as you've probably experienced several times this winter when you were making winter storm threat maps for a storm that was over a week away & don't be shocked if everyone laughs at you in a couple weeks for declaring winter was over last week.

You've overcorrected for your far too overzealous mannerism, you need to find the happy medium/middle ground and learn to not speak in absolutes or discuss ANY specifics in a pattern more than a week or two in advance as you've done here, let alone make winter storm maps for events that over 6-7 days away. That is just as bad as someone declaring winter is over or that we're going to have a "pants exploding" winter storm based on a singular 300+ hour operational model run.

Here are the maps that include sleet. If you look in the bottom left corner, you will see the control. Just pretend that's the old opperational GFS. (It's not)
View attachment 30325View attachment 30333

The GEFS is obviously really underdispserive and its LR pattern may still be wrong to some extent, but that's the largest 384 HR snow mean I've ever seen on the GEFS.

Specifics and model snowfall output aside, it's really hard to deny the low frequency signal for at least one storm in the last 10 days of January. This is right near our climatological peak for snow/ice in the Carolinas (late January-early Feb).

Here's the list of winter storms that have occurred in MJO phase 7 during January since 2000:

Some winters we got more than one storm.
Since 2000, 8 of 10 trips to RMM MJO phase 7 have produced a winter storm (at least a minor event) in east-central NC w/ 2009 & 2016 being the only duds. 2009 didn't miss by much (the president's day storm showed up in phase 8 instead) & in 2016 we were still hungover from the warmest December (& arguably the most anomalous month period) on record, which is a huge outlier and obviously not happening this year. On average, about 1 storm

January 2-3 2002
January 9 2004
January 17 2008
January 19 2008
January 29-30 2010
January 17-18 2011
January 22 2011
January 17-18 2013
January 28-29 2014
January 13-14 2015
January 26-27 2015

Here's the composite hemispheric 500mb anomaly pattern for these events. Strong North Pac low undercutting a block in the far North Pacific (-EPO/-WPO) coupled w/ a +PNA is usually how we get the job done in MJO phase 7 during January.
View attachment 30307

Rather unsurprisingly, this is pretty close to the composite pattern during RMM Phase 7 in January:

View attachment 30312

It's also generally not that dissimilar from the GEFS & EPS forecasts. While I think the GEFS has a strong -EPO bias, a legit -EPO is likely going to verify here.

Hopefully, you didn't think winter was over.
View attachment 30315
View attachment 30314

Lol. I tweeted earlier about the GEFS -EPO bias and EPS compared to Phase 7 composite. Jeez. On the same wavelengths sometimes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may be the craziest long range snow mean I've seen.
I think one year I saw a larger one honestly. I think I saved it on my computer which I’ll check when I get home. The period ended up a dud too as no one got snow except the mountains I believe. Hopefully I find it and can post it

I think one year I saw a larger one honestly. I think I saved it on my computer which I’ll check when I get home. The period ended up a dud too as no one got snow except the mountains I believe. Hopefully I find it and can post it
Found it in an old text! Did NC or anyone get anything during this period? If so than this time could be different if the mean I posted included a storm that actually happened in the short term and this mean includes that. 1578766614296.png

I think something did happen in that time period, but it was nowhere near that extent.

I think that ended up being the coastal SE event.

I'm cautiously optimistic right now, know good and well how much we've been burned recently, but I realistically just can't see it going "stay as warm" as it has been lately. There has to be a flip incoming, but that needs to be nailed down.

Back