• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Well that was interesting. 0z GFS 12z Thursday much more precip Georgia/Tennessee. Barely misses western NC when temps are below freezing. That frontal thump of rain wasn’t as impressive in prior runs,

Does appear to be a few flakes flying, certainly rare for coastal SC.

Attachments

• D10F71BC-B79B-48F6-A1F9-211328060365.png
    D10F71BC-B79B-48F6-A1F9-211328060365.png
    963.3 KB · Views: 43
This is an equally brutal pattern we’re going to have to suffer through for at least the next 2 weeks. Stale cold. Highs in the lower 50’s and lows in the upper thirties/mid 40’s..unless we get something to close off and make its own cold air, I’m extremely doubtful it snows outside of the mountains..hopefully we can get the Pacific to play ball by February 101629134F-BFA3-4AA5-9B77-7CC40E66C364.png

This is an equally brutal pattern we’re going to have to suffer through for at least the next 2 weeks. Stale cold. Highs in the lower 50’s and lows in the upper thirties/mid 40’s..unless we get something to close off and make its own cold air, I’m extremely doubtful it snows outside of the mountains..hopefully we can get the Pacific to play ball by February 10View attachment 31665

This type of pattern would work better in March with ULLs

Hour 240
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_40.png

Cmc and GFS tonight showing a similar type of set up with plenty of time to change positions ... but definitely seems like a storm threat (rain or snow) depending on how much cold air we can wrap in

This is an equally brutal pattern we’re going to have to suffer through for at least the next 2 weeks. Stale cold. Highs in the lower 50’s and lows in the upper thirties/mid 40’s..unless we get something to close off and make its own cold air, I’m extremely doubtful it snows outside of the mountains..hopefully we can get the Pacific to play ball by February 10View attachment 31665
That's not that bad of a pattern to be honest, it's definitely not a torch pattern. I'd say the temps would be average for the most part (maybe slightly above or below average) for some area's depending on where you are located (factoring in mesoscale features.) I still think early February, the pattern may develop into a much more favorable pattern for below normal temps and active with storms across the Eastern US (including a good portion of the Southeastern US) The colder pattern could be long established, meaning a long duration of below normal temps through early February and possibly into mid February.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Can someone either agree or disagree that we should now be looking at the Canadian model and it’s ensembles with a more higher regard .. even vs Gfs now? In other words is the Canadian more trust worthy now in what it shows

Things could get real interesting early next week if this trend continues. Most models are slowly ticking northward w/ this system, we would need to see a pretty dramatic shift to give any of us a chance & of course also have enough cold air in place.

View attachment 31671
It would have to keep this trend up and get the tilt better. It's working on it, that's for sure.

Back