• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

To piggy-back off the stratospheric polar vortex (SPV) posts from yesterday, it's worth mentioning that wave-1 displacements of the polar vortex like the one that was forecast on the long-range GFS yesterday are usually highly baroclinic in nature, which means the geostrophic wind veers with height and that the vortex is also tilted.

During polar vortex splits (wave-2), the vortex is usually barotropic or vertically stacked, thus there's no vertical shear in the geostrophic wind.

Just can see the wave 1 displacement and aforementioned vortex tilting nicely on this LR GFS forecast from Zac Lawrence's site, notice how in the upper levels the vortex tilts towards the west. Keep in mind this plot only analyzes the portion of the polar vortex in the stratosphere (down to 150mb), the vortex is even more tilted if you also include the troposphere!

Zac Lawrence's site: https://stratobserve.com/

gfs_nh-gphellvert_20200120_f384.png

To piggy-back off the stratospheric polar vortex (SPV) posts from yesterday, it's worth mentioning that wave-1 displacements of the polar vortex like the one that was forecast on the long-range GFS yesterday are usually highly baroclinic in nature, which means the geostrophic wind veers with height and that the vortex is also tilted.

During polar vortex splits (wave-2), the vortex is usually barotropic or vertically stacked, thus there's no vertical shear in the geostrophic wind.

Just can see the wave 1 displacement and aforementioned vortex tilting nicely on this LR GFS forecast from Zac Lawrence's site, notice how in the upper levels the vortex tilts towards the west. Keep in mind this plot only analyzes the portion of the polar vortex in the stratosphere (down to 150mb), the vortex is even more tilted if you also include the troposphere!

Zac Lawrence's site: https://stratobserve.com/

View attachment 31598

The underlying lesson of this post and the series of posts by @Jon & I yesterday is that the location of the stratospheric polar vortex doesn't automatically correspond with where the coldest air will be in the lower troposphere. This is only true (sometimes) with polar vortex splits, but even then, the coupling & relationships are still a bit tenuous.

Therefore, the stratospheric polar vortex moving towards Eurasia doesn't mean the cold air in the lower troposphere will follow it, it's liable to stay in our backyard over Alaska for the foreseeable future.

If we can finally get a legit -EPO in the long range, we'd have the coldest air (relative to normal) in the entire NH over Alaska come hurdling towards us.

This Iowa State Meteogram site literally has everything. Month & season to date climate division (estimate) maps, station, climate division and statewide daily snow depth data, not to mention it also has percent cover of snow of at least "x" threshold going back to 1893.

View attachment 31572

Areal snow cover percent of at least 0.1" of snow for the winter of 1935-36 for instance:
View attachment 31573
This is just my opinion but look pre 1930s. Its more proof our climate is changing. Now weather you want to blame that on industrialisation that's up to you but look at the average before and after the 1920s very telling imho.......carry on

Gfs basically had a shallow west coast ridge from hour 180-384
The telles aren't impressive, but the image below is interesting. Don't recall seeing this kind of look before at H5, which makes me think it won't look this way in 16 days. Anyway, hopefully the GFS is onto something with the MJO.

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_65.png

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.gif

For at least the 10th or so run in a row, the Euro has flurries over much of metro Atlanta this morning or at least had as of 7AM, mainly NW metro. Anyone there see any? I want to know whether this verifies:

1579620299630.png

For at least the 10th or so run in a row, the Euro has flurries over much of metro Atlanta this morning or at least had as of 7AM, mainly NW metro. Anyone there see any? I want to know whether this verifies:

View attachment 31605
There has been returns on radarscope but it's obviously light. I asked some folks up in the upstate of SC this morning if they saw anything under the returns and they said they didn't see anything. Also, I don't see anything on radarscope with anyone reporting snow around the ATL area. It was snowing in the mountains earlier this morning. Places like Waynesville, NC got a good dusting.

The telles aren't impressive, but the image below is interesting. Don't recall seeing this kind of look before at H5, which makes me think it won't look this way in 16 days. Anyway, hopefully the GFS is onto something with the MJO.

View attachment 31601

View attachment 31602
Looks like a switch to a -EPO was about to happen, and a west based -NAO was getting going with several wave breaking 50/50 lows

I’m still wondering if somewhere on the NE or east central FL coast will sneak in some flurries late tonight:

1579621905205.png
1579622086324.png
1579622141401.png

Back