• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

For at least the 10th or so run in a row, the Euro has flurries over much of metro Atlanta this morning or at least had as of 7AM, mainly NW metro. Anyone there see any? I want to know whether this verifies:

View attachment 31605
I seen it on radar, but most of the moisture was drying up before reaching the ground. I did see like one flurry or two. It was just too dry at the surface. The snow was falling though just below the clouds I bet. Maybe next time it won't be so dry.

The telles aren't impressive, but the image below is interesting. Don't recall seeing this kind of look before at H5, which makes me think it won't look this way in 16 days. Anyway, hopefully the GFS is onto something with the MJO.

View attachment 31601

View attachment 31602

Maybe we will get a Montana Mauler, seems like I remember a storm sometime in the last 10-20 yrs that tracked like that, dropped in over Montana and came SE across the central plains and ended up giving us a big storm in the Carolina's....everyone kind of poo poo the models since that low track typically wouldn't do it for us and it ended up paying off.

Is there a record for number of cutters in a single season? ICON had an interesting system late that stayed south but the GFS cuts that on too. Just an endless parade of them this year. Also tabbed through the EPS members from last night and did not see any sort of storm signal:-(

For at least the 10th or so run in a row, the Euro has flurries over much of metro Atlanta this morning or at least had as of 7AM, mainly NW metro. Anyone there see any? I want to know whether this verifies:

View attachment 31605
Nothing here. The maps are too over the top. I sort of figured off of pivotal's soundings that the DGZ being dry was a sign.

The LR GEFS looks a lot like the most recent Euro weeklies except they have the AK vortex getting dislodged during the 2nd week of February, so it's possible we move towards that pattern but maybe the GEFS is accelerating it a bit (as usual). I'd love nothing more than to see a nice -EPO show up and dislodge all that cold air that's been bottled up in Alaska and to have it couple w/ the really active southern stream we've had this year.

View attachment 31605
Hey Larry,

Not sure about others, but I've been in the Roswell area and the Decatur area today & haven't seen a single flake. There were thick clouds this morning, but now the sun is out. If flakes were fallin', you needed to squint to see 'em...and as far as I'm concerned, it don't count if I have to squint.

Back