• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

A beauty just hanging off the coast of SC next Tuesday. Cold air in place, just need this thing to trend North. 8 days out. Let’s reel it in.

A beauty just hanging off the coast of SC next Tuesday. Cold air in place, just need this thing to trend North. 8 days out. Let’s reel it in.

Always a delicate balance. This would be more likely to trend closer to the coast than the opposite but that could also make it too warm for most for snow.

Always a delicate balance. This would be more likely to trend closer to the coast than the opposite but that could also make it too warm for most for snow.
I see, dew points are relatively low so some cooling could occur. But that’s getting to deep in details really. Would see like it would support wintry precip Columbia points NW depending on how close it tracked.

Guys aren't we long over do for another storm of the century from back in 93? Just seems like one of these models is going to catch us off guard soon especially with the pattern change around the end of the month

The Superstorm of 1993 was a freak of nature. Its seeds had been sown a month earlier as the jet stream -- the river of air that flows east to west 30,000 ft. above North America -- dipped dramatically down from Canada and blasted cold arctic air across Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas and Texas and into the Gulf of Mexico before banking back up the eastern seaboard. The jet stream that spring looked like a giant "U" flowing over the central and eastern United States.

On Friday, March 12, a cluster of powerful thunderstorms formed in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico, and then merged with a narrow band of snow and rain that was pushing in from the West Coast. The two storm systems collided with the jet stream, and by 7 p.m. they began screaming across the Gulf toward Florida, pushing a large storm surge ahead of their path.

* took this from a article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see, dew points are relatively low so some cooling could occur. But that’s getting to deep in details really. Would see like it would support wintry precip Columbia points NW depending on how close it tracked.

Yeah, every one is different and this is in an interesting position for a place like Columbia, no doubt, if just the right amount of NW shift were to occur AND the Arctic high at least remain as cold. We know a large majority don’t work out for places like Columbia or else their averages would be higher. I certainly wouldn’t bet on it but maybe this will be the exception?

The Superstorm of 1993 was a freak of nature. Its seeds had been sown a month earlier as the jet stream -- the river of air that flows east to west 30,000 ft. above North America -- dipped dramatically down from Canada and blasted cold arctic air across Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas and Texas and into the Gulf of Mexico before banking back up the eastern seaboard. The jet stream that spring looked like a giant "U" flowing over the central and eastern United States.

On Friday, March 12, a cluster of powerful thunderstorms formed in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico, and then merged with a narrow band of snow and rain that was pushing in from the West Coast. The two storm systems collided with the jet stream, and by 7 p.m. they began screaming across the Gulf toward Florida, pushing a large storm surge ahead of their path.

* took this from a article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I need this to happen again and be stronger with more snow than rain for the whole southeast... I was only 3 years old when this happen so I don't remember it and need for it to happen again so I can say I experienced being older

Yeah, every one is different and this is in an interesting position for a place like Columbia, no doubt, if just the right amount of NW shift were to occur AND the Arctic high at least remain as cold. We know a large majority don’t work out for places like Columbia or else their averages would be higher. I certainly wouldn’t bet on it but maybe this will be the exception?
Hoping so, we’ve been left out awhile now. But, hope everyone on the board somehow cashes in this Winter somehow.

Good luck getting these 2 waves to ride east in concert with each other.
3c56c409716a22aee7fa34b5873ba360.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This I agree with. Of course, NC and maybe TN would be favored for obvious reasons.

The tracks of these lows give those in the Deep South a shot, depending on the cold air available. A split pattern and active stj are not usually overwhelming cold though. We can watch and keep hoping for a favorable outcome, but these kind of opportunities don’t present themselves but a couple of times per year. Also, it’s been a while...

Not really a coastal..late bloomer shooting due east NE..not a bad runView attachment 30726
I agree with a late bloomer, cause the flow/setup would not allow for low development sooner. Everything upstream over the Gulf gets suppressed. It would be difficult for a northwest trend for that low with an off shore flow and the high pressure pushes east as the late bloomer pops...OTS it goes!

I agree with a late bloomer, cause the flow/setup would not allow for low development sooner. Everything upstream over the Gulf gets suppressed. It would be difficult for a northwest trend for that low with an off shore flow and the high pressure pushes east as the late bloomer pops...OTS it goes!
Taking the model verbatim, yes. But you know that solution is going to change, and 8 out of 10 times, late bloomers become perfect bloomers to early bloomers to change your bloomers in the rain.

Back