• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Yeah, things will adjust as time closes in. But, I'm not expecting any major changes really. Looking up at the 500mb, I don't like how there is a ridge out west that is massive, it buckles all the way into Canada...basically a big upside down "U" that is making things rough for us. Extreme tall ridging over the Rockies/Great Plains into Canada is no good. If this ridge was further west, I would be interested.
View attachment 30731

View attachment 30732
You kind of need the ridge to be amplified in this particular case. A flatter ridge and its certainly flat and out to sea. A steeper ridge allows you to almost get into an omega block look. This would be what causes the flow along the SE coast to veer more out of the south, increase divergence and get the surface low closer to the coast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You kind of need the ridge to be amplified in this particular case. A flatter ridge and its certainly flat and out to sea. A steeper ridge allows you to almost get into an omega block look. This would be what causes the flow along the SE coast to veer more out of the south, increase divergence and get the surface low closer to the coast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I agree with what you're getting at. Western blocking can be good, but it also can be bad depending of the nature of the ridge. I would rather see ridging along the western coast/into the Rockies that's not buckling northward too step and not pushing southeast or east. A ridge that's buckles too much could cause suppression down stream over our area. I also don't like how this ridge is causing the trough to dive very steep.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Easy to see why that weekend event is coming back, stronger trough associated with the 50/50 low helps out with more low level CAA, and the trough in the NE has definitely been adjusting slightly south each run, which makes a pretty decent difference, likely why the high has been trending stronger 88C9E42A-BAE1-42EE-9910-0E0742CBF407.gifon the gefs you can definitely see that trend of a stronger HP/CAD 1D7716FB-7161-4ADF-B25A-0A04E8B3C04E.gif

Problem with the CAD event is that it looks like it just gets washed out. Could always trend to a stronger wedge I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem with the CAD event is that it looks like it just gets washed out. Could always trend to a stronger wedge I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah with that storm track it’s not gonna b nothing crazy, initial snow/sleet/ZR to rain but CAD areas along the escarpment have a better shot as always

Yeah with that storm track it’s not gonna b nothing crazy, initial snow/sleet/ZR to rain but CAD areas along the escarpment have a better shot as always
0z ICON has pockets of Wilkes/Surry at or below 32 for the entire event. Something to watch for sure if CAD ticks another degree cooler over the next four days.

Back