• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 3-4 2024 System

One thing to keep an eye is what the radar looks like tommorow afternoon. This is what the NAM 3km/12km looks like at 17z. 1704233353172.png1704233335621.png
Yep..very dry...as low as -40c at 750 to 800mb. . If you looked at the composite reflectivity on the nam/4km nam/hrrr on the college of Purdue site we are going to have a monster virga storm so it might be quite painful. However those low wetbulb zero heights probably means there is a good chance that if anything does reach the ground it won't be all liquid or it won't be long before you see a mix..even with temps in the low to mid 40s.

Even with so little precip the nam drops everyone 8 to 10 degrees in 2 hours tomorrow afternoon. I hope there is enough..Those wild evap cooling events are cool to see.

perfect track for a big snow in Atlanta and its rain ?
Not to mention that is even with it forecasting morning lows that are WAY too cold.

rgem_T2m_seus_19.png

Already at 37 degrees. About 4 degrees colder than forecast for this timeframe.
Not that it matters at this juncture, but my wet bulb is down to 34F. We will see what temps do when the thick cloud deck rolls in. I’m curious as to what high res model is winning verification so far.

00Z HRRR actually shows a lot more moisture moving through the ATL metro but doesn't really show much in the way of getting the temps down.

Wonder if virga and evaporative cooling could get those temperatures a little lower but isn't really picking up on it. Curious if the 00Z NAM will hold serve on that idea.

00Z HRRR gets rain into the Atlanta metro this run. The problem is the surface is on ? (mid-forties!)
It might not be taking into account dynamic cooling as much as the NAM is. The heavier the precip the higher the temps will drop. Then again, the NAM and HRRR temp profiles are different at 925.

Im already at 30 degrees according to my weather station outside in Dallas Ga Low was to be 29 and that was for tomorrow at 7am

Back