• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

This one will live in infamy with me. It tempers my weeniedom with model promises still.

20170107.gsp.nc.snow.accum.png
See that little orange spot at the north end of Wake, that's me. Got ~4" of sleet. I enjoyed it but man that was too close for me. As stated before, I would love to see a storm where the transition line was a couple of counties to the southeast.

Reply back and say "No, it doesn't help. It doesn't help at all. We have a mild, dry snowstorm coming, and we need to be able to see it!"
They should have tweeted back: "Look out the window." ;-)

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Guess is a slushy inch or two. Nam is too dry and the GFS is too cold.
I feel like this may even be too optimistic, but not a bad guess. I would be satisfied with it, I want to see sticking snow again. We’ll see the Doc’s latest prognosis shortly.

Euro looks carbon copy to GFS out to 24. Southern piece is slower, behind the northern piece moreso on euro than GFS.
1611683809383.png

Gotcha. I’m just always a little doubtful of the BL keeping us as rain. Provided enough precip, I would truly expect rates to overcome in such a situation, though it could cost a tenth or two of QPF. Of course, if precip itself is marginal, that could literally cost us everything.

I just can’t really think of any examples of where BL temps cost us a major storm. They can hurt (for one, the snow will accumulate poorer), but usually aren’t fatal.

Regarding accumulations, warm BL temps and a wet ground won’t be doing us any favors, though. And I doubt soil temps are very cold, either. At least it’ll be falling overnight with the sun down.

GFS_SoilTemp_NC_2021-01-26_12Z_FHr0_WB.png

Between Hours 30-36 is when the GFS Suites pick up on a little more energy at H5 compared to Euro. Not sure why, but they both look identical. So hopefully the euro catches a whiff of the gFS ,HRRR GO JUICE at this juncture.
We really want to see this thing rev up, bomb out. The more the better served we will all be. Track is pretty much set in stone at H5

Back