• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

We just took a drive for the past hour or so. Nothing at my house despite snowing all day. The temp dropped down to 32 just north of Acworth with a good coating near Mars Hill. Drove down through north paulding and found about an inch at Burnt Hickory on 61. Came back home and there was a dusting within 1/2 mile from my house. Just a few white spots now showing up here at 33.
Drove from d'town kennesaw straight into d'town Acworth. Night and day difference. No snow in Acworth. Trees and all fairly well covered in Kennesaw.

No snowcream today. Only Slush Puppies. I went out to clear off the deck and front porch. Measured between 3.5 and 4 inches every time. I'm calling it 3.75" of snow/sleet accumulation. No freezing rain yet, and it doesn't look like we are going above freezing like all the models had. The hrrr is finally backed off of that. Pretty incredible that the ice accrual projections were all wrong and sleet saved the day. I imagine we will get a little freezing drizzle as things wind down and maybe a flurry for the finale, but I'm so relieved that we avoided the huge ice storm. The extreme wind gusts were brutal, but they are starting to die down now too. Huge bullet dodged!

Sound about right for our backyard, @NCSNOW ?

Ripping still in Alpharetta
8ed82860f17cdf040355a06ba418a368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not confident those bands will verify here in all honesty. I feel like we are just about done here in the upstate. It is lightly flurrying here in Simpsonville. Feels like the end.
It felt like the end for me too. The sun came out while it was snowing. Thought it was a wrap but NOPE! Snowing away!!??

Looks like this event is coming to a close. Looks like maybe 1-1.5 inches on elevated surfaces. Could've been 3-4 inch at night with temps at or below freezing. Was still super nice to look at....snowing for 5-6 hours straight was cool. Hoping next weekend delivers more though and I can actually get my entire backyard completely covered with snow.

Looks like this event is coming to a close. Looks like maybe 1-1.5 inches on elevated surfaces. Could've been 3-4 inch at night with temps at or below freezing. Was still super nice to look at....snowing for 5-6 hours straight was cool. Hoping next weekend delivers more though and I can actually get my entire backyard completely covered with snow.
I'm actually surprised you got as much snow as areas further north like Forsyth County.

Back