• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Another close hit. Still suppressed getting within 10 days.. also this model has been most consistent with a threat for around the 14th time period 64697DB5-5286-4CF4-AA3D-D50358A03002.png156BB7E0-6797-4FFB-BAD1-2FE5F068882F.png

Pattern change going full tilt in 6z GFS! Going from rainy southern sliders, to rainy apps rubbers! Winter just won’t give up!! :(

The negative East Asia Mountain Torque event I talked about last week (with low pressure over the Tibet Plateau and China) is now showing up in the medium range on most major ensemble suites. This is one of your first big warning signs of an upcoming pattern change because the negative mountain torque event will help retract/pull back the Pacific jet. This jet retraction allows the Aleutian low to retrograde westward in addition to more breathing room to dig southward, and leaves us with a more malleable, “wavy” jet stream that is thus more conducive to blocking downstream in the NE Pacific and Alaska (-EPO) in the longer term. It’ll take about a week or so for the Pacific jet to respond to this negative mountain torque over east Asia which puts us around the time when NWP is finally showing a favorable pattern for cold/snow, essentially about 2 weeks from now.

Last edited:
The middle of the month does look interesting. Just have to watch and see. We don't have any shortage of precip with the pattern we are in. Just need the cold to come with it.

Seeing the EPS fold to the GEFS is excellent news IMO. That look on the 19th looks pretty good to me...not even a WAR on that image! It's hard to believe actually. It's not perfect but that's getting into a money zone right there. Obviously it's going to change but if those fundamental elements stay, it's great news. If we can keep the SOI negative I think we could at least be in the game late January. If the bigfoot/unicorn actually shows up for real, February could be really fun. Hopefully these looks stay...

The negative East Asia Mountain Torque event I talked about last week (with low pressure over the Tibet Plateau and China) is now showing up in the medium range on most major ensemble suites. This is one of your first big warning signs of an upcoming pattern change because the negative mountain torque event will help retract/pull back the Pacific jet. This jet retraction allows the Aleutian low to retrograde westward in addition to more breathing room to dig southward, and leaves us with a more malleable, “wavy” jet stream that is thus more conducive to blocking downstream in the NE Pacific and Alaska (-EPO) in the longer term. It’ll take about a week or so for the Pacific jet to respond to this negative mountain torque over east Asia which puts us around the time when NWP is finally showing a favorable pattern for cold/snow, essentially about 2 weeks from now.

Webber, my question to you becomes is this a temporary fix or longer lasting pattern change? Im referring to the EAMT event? Anyway this coincides with the SSW situation?

Seeing the EPS fold to the GEFS is excellent news IMO. That look on the 19th looks pretty good to me...not even a WAR on that image! It's hard to believe actually. It's not perfect but that's getting into a money zone right there. Obviously it's going to change but if those fundamental elements stay, it's great news. If we can keep the SOI negative I think we could at least be in the game late January. If the bigfoot/unicorn actually shows up for real, February could be really fun. Hopefully these looks stay...

The geps looked good also i thought

These are both pretty big improvements. Hard to call it a trend yet, but if we can string 2-3 days of this together and watch it begin to work in, we can start to get a bit more confident.
I think we are basically there. We may push a few more says but as a whole the light is at the end of the tunnel

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back