• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Be nice if esrl sites were up. Looks like 1914 and 1915 were both snowy too. Would love to see the Jan patterns in those and what they flipped too.

1914-15 oth lol, oh it was snowy alright, just not when you expected it to be. Only good storms were in mid November, late March & April actual winter was zzz.

We had back-to-back big dogs at the end of March & beginning of April.

November 19-20 1914 NC Snowmap.png
March 30-31 1915 NC Snowmap.png
April 2-3 1915 NC Snowmap.png

I bet this was awesome !!!
fc5971376de18801e94f25d1b379b121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thing is, you will.
Yea it just a matter of time.
But no complaints from me. Last 8 years we have have some nice snows here.

2010 Christmas Day snow. 5 inches
2011 January storm. 11 inches
2014 February storm. 7 inches
2015 February storm. 10 inches
2015 March sleet fest. 2 inches (amazing thing about that storm the day before it was in the 70’s that day).

I
I bet this was awesome !!!
fc5971376de18801e94f25d1b379b121.jpg

I was in Homewood during that fun time. I lived in Ga. at the time l was visiting my father and this was the first snow that l ever saw, l was 10 years old. That's when l knew l was snow freak. Made my first snowman. Those totals were taken Friday 5pm it snow till midnight. We measure a foot that night. It was a great weekend!!!

You can & should still use ancient analogs, you just have to know how to use them. Any signal you're trying to attain by using years in the past 30-40 years is more likely to be riddled with noise that has little or nothing to do w/ ENSO, than if you used all years because event-event variability is as large or larger than the basic state changes in the climate you're acknowledging by changing the analyzed subset of years. Studies by Garfinkel et al noted that a record of at least several hundred years length is required for ENSO-derived signals to be larger than internal variability! Adjusting ancient analogs to a modern climate period is one of the better ways to use them.

Climate change has altered some aspects of the circulation response to ENSO but most of its key features have resonated for hundreds-thousands of years in the Holocene & very likely will continue to do so long into the future.

Very few people or professional mets actually know what to do w/ ancient analogs, how to utilize them responsibly or understand the basic caveats associated with them, leading to instances over over and misuse like we see w/ JB et al, and on the other end of the spectrum, being overly critical of those who take advantage of them properly.

I regularly look at years in the late 19th & early-mid 20th century because while I know the climate has changed significantly since then, I also understand the modern observed record is far too short to capture most or even sizable portion of sub-interannual variability that's legitimately possible in our current climate and looking at data only after 1980 severely misrepresents extreme events that both have the biggest impact on society, yet occur w/ such finite regularity that a 30-40 year record is less likely to identify them at all.

Henceforth, not at least looking and grappling with some of the basic messages that ancient years "teach" you actually limits your capabilities as a forecaster/enthusiast, leads to an over-funneling of perceived, permissible modern weather/climate variance & will make you more apt to respond with excessive, blind fervor to extreme events when they do occur.

Put me in my place and educated me. Favorite post of all time.

I feel like the ENSO is too positive for winter storms, meaning the El Nino is really "cranked" up making the flow too amped to not allow any cold air to make it further south (warm PAC air) Maybe the ENSO needs to be more netrual. I haven't checked the status of the ENSO lately. Perhaps, someone else can discuss further.

Back