• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

I feel like the ENSO is too positive for winter storms, meaning the El Nino is really "cranked" up making the flow too amped to not allow any cold air to make it further south (warm PAC air) Maybe the ENSO needs to be more netrual. I haven't checked the status of the ENSO lately. Perhaps, someone else can discuss further.
Are you meaning the SOI is too negative or the SSTs are too high? Like in the eastern Pacific or more toward the central or western areas?

Maybe Larry or Webb can answer this, SOI has been largely positive this month, is that normal in these type nino events? I know negative SOI values usually support ninos.

Maybe Larry or Webb can answer this, SOI has been largely positive this month, is that normal in these type nino events? I know negative SOI values usually support ninos.

If it is...I’m willing to bet it hasn’t been this positive very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very unusual for +SOI in month of Dec. we have had 3 consecutive months +. Granted Oct/Nov barely positive.

Last nino that gas +SOI was Dec 1969 and it was 2. We are at 9 which is Nina territory.

Probably function of spending most of Dec in Ph3-5.

https://data.longpaddock.qld.gov.au...SOIDataFiles/MonthlySOIPhase1887-1989Base.txt

Are you meaning the SOI is too negative or the SSTs are too high? Like in the eastern Pacific or more toward the central or western areas?
I'm meaning the equatorial tropical areas of the Pacific. Warmer SSTs would increase the strength of the ENSO, which would cause a amped SJT. The warm moist flow keeps flowing, not allowing cold air to extend further south. Isn't the SOI the ENSO though? since the SOI is the southern oscillation index.

I don’t know why but I’m still watching Jan 8th-10th closely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to what @Kylo said, the record high El Niño Dec SOI back to the 1870s is only about +4 vs the current +9! That’s out of about 48 El Niño’s!

Back