• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Excessive pessimism and optimism both get really old after a while and leave you extremely vulnerable to making egregious errors in the interpretation of a forthcoming pattern, and it's this interpretation when viewed objectively & professionally, that's surprisingly is still superior to any one deterministic model solution. There are visible signs of one coming at least to me, HM, et al but I realize most people aren't familiar with phenomena at this frequency or aren't going to see any change until it's beyond obvious, snowing in their backyard, or is only a beneficial one.

The harsh reality is that the seeds were already being sewn for a pattern change sometime in January several weeks ago when the southern hemisphere polar vortex underwent a final warming event. This gave a massive jolt to the MJO in the Indian Ocean that eventually triggered the ongoing sudden stratospheric warming event in the Northern Hemisphere which was being preconditioned by active wave forcing from the troposphere this past fall & a low-level easterly QBO, coupled to a modest central Pacific NINO.

The evolution of this winter so far & going forward seems fairly monotonous to me for an El Nino. I've seen this script play out over, over & over again in the historical record, NC was fortunate enough to get a huge signing bonus for 2018-19 in early Dec. Hence, I'm not phased by the large amount of internal model variability going forward. Being in an El Nino isn't really that advantageous for cold/snow lovers in the SE US typically until late January & even the warmest NINO winters rarely avoid looking at least threatening in late January-February.

I actually think a lot of meteorologists are, but because the models are and have been so chaotic it is muddying people's perception of what was expected and somehow current model runs are being extrapolated to the end of winter already when in reality things are right on track at this point.

Nino January's can be cold and in fact our best snowy nino's had BN January's, I think frustration is warranted. I think if we had BN temps coming up folks would be not as pessimistic. There isn't a lot of great analogs for AN Januarys that flip to cold and snowy (80/66)? Those are the ones I could find. Feb 07 was brutal cold but not snowy but would take my chances with that again.

But I totally get it...enso climatology says our best chances are in February so we have to suck it up for a month.

Jantemps.gif

Nino January's can be cold and in fact our best snowy nino's had BN January's, I think frustration is warranted. I think if we had BN temps coming up folks would be not as pessimistic. There isn't a lot of great analogs for AN Januarys that flip to cold and snowy (80/66)? Those are the ones I could find. Feb 07 was brutal cold but not snowy but would take my chances with that again.

But I totally get it...enso climatology says our best chances are in February so we have to suck it up for a month.

View attachment 9796

I’m not sure I trust analogs much anymore. Climate change has altered the playing field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're correct, it does not have to be super cold for snow storms. In fact, warm air must be around to allow moisture in the air to form those flakes. Some may not realize that there can be those "warm snow storms."
I totally get your first sentence, but I don’t understand much of the rest of it. I consider warm snowstorms rain.

I totally get your first sentence, but I don’t understand much of the rest of it. I consider warm snowstorms rain.
The sentiment is on the right track, but personally I think overall is actually missing the mark, especially in the south where getting a mechanism to deliver the sufficient cold air supply in the presence of WAA is not the norm. Because you need warm air advection to produce lift, condensation and precipitation, you have to have an adequate and consistent enough feed of cold/dry air to offset this intrusion of warm, moist air in the form of evaporational cooling and that requires some special circumstances at our latitudes.

View attachment 9796

I’m not sure I trust analogs much anymore. Climate change has altered the playing field.

Agee’s, I don’t like going back much past 1980. But, 03, 10 and 15 is reasonable.

You can & should still use ancient analogs, you just have to know how to use them. Any signal you're trying to attain by using years in the past 30-40 years is more likely to be riddled with noise that has little or nothing to do w/ ENSO, than if you used all years because event-event variability is as large or larger than the basic state changes in the climate you're acknowledging by changing the analyzed subset of years. Studies by Garfinkel et al noted that a record of at least several hundred years length is required for ENSO-derived signals to be larger than internal variability! Adjusting ancient analogs to a modern climate period is one of the better ways to use them.

Climate change has altered some aspects of the circulation response to ENSO but most of its key features have resonated for hundreds-thousands of years in the Holocene & very likely will continue to do so long into the future.

Very few people or professional mets actually know what to do w/ ancient analogs, how to utilize them responsibly or understand the basic caveats associated with them, leading to instances over over and misuse like we see w/ JB et al, and on the other end of the spectrum, being overly critical of those who take advantage of them properly.

I regularly look at years in the late 19th & early-mid 20th century because while I know the climate has changed significantly since then, I also understand the modern observed record is far too short to capture most or even sizable portion of sub-interannual variability that's legitimately possible in our current climate and looking at data only after 1980 severely misrepresents extreme events that both have the biggest impact on society, yet occur w/ such finite regularity that a 30-40 year record is less likely to identify them at all.

Henceforth, not at least looking and grappling with some of the basic messages that ancient years "teach" you actually limits your capabilities as a forecaster/enthusiast, leads to an over-funneling of perceived, permissible modern weather/climate variance & will make you more apt to respond with excessive, blind fervor to extreme events when they do occur.

View attachment 9796
I kind of agree. And yeah, I think some frustration is warranted. Many of us wait all year long for winter to get here, and it sucks just a little bit when large chunks of it in a row are wasted waiting for the better pattern or period to arrive. Being disappointed by not getting wall to wall cold (which I agree is silly) is a different thing than being discouraged by a long period of warm weather, having only the hope of something that is supposed to happen actually happening. I think it will turn cold and wintry. At the same time, I’m disappointed that we are burning precious time waiting for it to show up. I believe we’ll get there.

d6267f6d56e1fe4ef7d3fee9b7857d63.jpg

Why isn’t there more cold air funneling down with a high this strong?

The sentiment is on the right track, but personally I think overall is actually missing the mark, especially in the south where getting a mechanism to deliver the sufficient cold air supply in the presence of WAA is not the norm. Because you need warm air advection to produce lift, condensation and precipitation, you have to have an adequate and consistent enough feed of cold/dry air to offset this intrusion of warm, moist air in the form of evaporational cooling and that requires some special circumstances at our latitudes.
Yep, I gotcha on that. Thanks for the clear explanation. I was just having trouble with warm snowstorms. Terms like warm and cold get thrown around frequently, but they’re pretty subjective. You often hear that it’s too cold to snow. That’s not really true here. It’s just that the conditions that lead to bitter cold here are often unfavorable to producing snow, kind of like what you were saying.

View attachment 9796

Out of all NINOs since the turn of the 20th century, 1888-89, 1905-06, 1913-14, 1914-15, 1918-19, 1929-30, 1930-31, 1951-52, 1953-54, 1991-92, 1994-95, 1997-98, 2004-05, & 2006-07 had significantly warm Januarys and of this group 1991-92 is the only true "detestable" winter & even then it was largely thanks to the Pinatubo Eruption and NC barely missed getting a big dog in mid January.

Out of all these winters, I'd argue that 1888-89 had the biggest flip from January to February and of the few available records and reanalyses suggest a sudden stratospheric warming event occurred in January 1889, we eventually scored a big dog on February 20th-21st, 1889 with 10" at Raleigh, & about 8" in Charlotte.
January 19-20 1992 NC Snowmap.png

map_btd (3).png

Out of all NINOs since the turn of the 20th century, 1888-89, 1905-06, 1913-14, 1914-15, 1918-19, 1929-30, 1930-31, 1951-52, 1953-54, 1991-92, 1994-95, 1997-98, 2004-05, & 2006-07 had significantly warm Januarys and of this group 1991-92 is the only true "detestable" winter & even then it was largely thanks to the Pinatubo Eruption and NC barely missed getting a big dog in mid January.

Out of all these winters, I'd argue that 1888-89 had the biggest flip from January to February and of the few available records and reanalyses suggest a sudden stratospheric warming event occurred in January 1889, we eventually scored a big dog on February 20th-21st, 1889 with 10" at Raleigh, & about 8" in Charlotte.
View attachment 9799

View attachment 9800

1951-52 had nearly wall-to-wall ridging in the southeastern US for most of the winter (ew), even this ugly NINO winter couldn't resist producing in February.
February 26-27 1952 NC Snowmap.png

View attachment 9799

View attachment 9800

Be nice if esrl sites were up. Looks like 1914 and 1915 were both snowy too. Would love to see the Jan patterns in those and what they flipped too.

Where is all the talk about the snow and ice potential in TX and OK this week ? The western part of the south needs some attention too !

Back