• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

The CFSv2 is probably the best of any modeling for the pattern for January. Yeah, it's not cold but it shows aleutian low and ridging in central/western Canada. The low heights over the pole is anti cold but it is what it is.
Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 8.45.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-30 at 8.45.26 AM.png

What is being modeled isn’t pretty and I don’t think they are going to change anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of us with a chance for seeing some wintry precip mid-to-late week with the upper low, the main shortwave is moving into Washington state now so should be fully sampled for today's 12z runs.

2007 is a curious analog, AN normal through end of January with dramatic flip. It's popped up on CPC analogs too. Didn't produce much snow across the east as it was dry.
2007.png

For those of us with a chance for seeing some wintry precip mid-to-late week with the upper low, the main shortwave is moving into Washington state now so should be fully sampled for today's 12z runs.

There should be a thread for this, it affects posters on this forum and good ensemble agreement and it's inside day 5. You should fire it up.

For such a hostile pattern it's great that there is a threat to track for some.

GEFS Ensembles United States Snowfall 192.png14-km EPS Probability Precip Snow United States Snowfall 192.png

What a waste
ab35cc71a417a10000d711c912b23097.jpg

My sentiments when I woke up too but was hoping to pretend the EPS didn't run last night.

Luckily for us, EPS has been horrible especially at day 15. You can’t trust a full conus ridge with positive heights moving into Greenland and a GOA low/Aleutians low. You change the Greenland +heights to a trough and we can believe this...I’ll gladly eat crow if that verifies as depicted.

Is that the deluxe stratospheric AO or the regular one?

Hah...it's the one that counts for us. But as Jon talked about above the EPS looks really bad but can it be trusted. We still have no agreement on the MJO forecasts from these models. Until that happens we won't be able to trust either one. But compare the day 15 EPS/ GEFS. The GEFS is better, you can visualize how that could evolve into a colder pattern later in Jan/Feb. But the EPS is turn the lights out on winter...if it's correct.

14-km EPS Global Northern Hemisphere 500 hPa Height Anom 360.pngGEFS Ensembles undefined undefined 354.png

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with this map and what’s causing a giant ridge in the states?
Trough in the pacific, ridge in the west. Why wouldn’t there be a trough in the east? Western ridge too Far East? Ridge not close enough to Greenland? In the next couple of frames the little bitty trough up in the NE peters out and the two ridges connect. ???9130B684-E750-41DE-913A-4B7FCDF9C473.png

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with this map and what’s causing a giant ridge in the states?
Trough in the pacific, ridge in the west. Why wouldn’t there be a trough in the east? Western ridge too Far East? Ridge not close enough to Greenland? In the next couple of frames the little bitty trough up in the NE peters out and the two ridges connect. ???View attachment 9749

We don't want a trough down in GOA, that close to the west coast, nor low heights over AK. We need the low to pull back west of AK. Here is a nice visualization of pac low retrograding west with eastern trough developing. The end of the GEFS does show the pac low consolidating and pulling back west but it has been doing that for about week now. The EPS doesn't show this at all.
retro.gif

Hah...it's the one that counts for us. But as Jon talked about above the EPS looks really bad but can it be trusted. We still have no agreement on the MJO forecasts from these models. Until that happens we won't be able to trust either one. But compare the day 15 EPS/ GEFS. The GEFS is better, you can visualize how that could evolve into a colder pattern later in Jan/Feb. But the EPS is turn the lights out on winter...if it's correct.

View attachment 9750View attachment 9751

This is what I’d expect if we get a death ridge for Jan 14th...

6376a922dbfaacb312d52ffcae757e37.jpg

Verification scores ranked recently for Day 10 in all modeling and it’s also surprising to see the Euro did as worse at Day 10, hitting 0.1 correlation for North Hemisphere 500mb heights. The Canadian beat out the Euro and GFS, FV3 as well.

cfedfb174f25faf9c5976b580a08b180.jpg

If they’re that bad, imagine what the scores for Day 15 look like? Also 15 day ensemble would be slightly better scores you’d imagine but maybe not, given how it’s generated it relies on the OP being somewhat close to reality.

As Jon pointed out earlier what the ensembles are showing seems strange, could be how they “smooth out” everything or they are just seeing a pattern where all of North America will be warm other than Alaska, which does not make much sense to me. Expect a lot of confusion and changes until the models get some grasp on the MJO, if ever.

This is what I’d expect if we get a death ridge for Jan 14th...

6376a922dbfaacb312d52ffcae757e37.jpg

Verification scores ranked recently for Day 10 in all modeling and it’s also surprising to see the Euro did as worse at Day 10, hitting 0.1 correlation for North Hemisphere 500mb heights. The Canadian beat out the Euro and GFS, FV3 as well.

cfedfb174f25faf9c5976b580a08b180.jpg

If they’re that bad, imagine what the scores for Day 15 look like? Also 15 day ensemble would be slightly better scores you’d imagine but maybe not, given how it’s generated it relies on the OP being somewhat close to reality.

I agree with you. The ensembles probably are wrong past day 10 but the past couple of weeks they have been wrong for showing a potential return to cold, it ends up verifying worse for us. But, that makes sense with MJO and +SOI. We keep hoping the MJO will go into phase 7-1 and we see a response. I don't think we are going to wake up one day and see the modeling flip to cold in the 6-10, eventually we will see days 12+ on the EPS/GEFS return to cold and it be correct. I sure hope its by mid-January we start to see that.

Last edited:
Trough in the pacific, ridge in the west. Why wouldn’t there be a trough in the east? Western ridge too Far East? Ridge not close enough to Greenland? In the next couple of frames the little bitty trough up in the NE peters out and the two ridges connect. ???View attachment 9749

There's actually a weak trough that extends down into the SE on that map but the 500 mb heights are still slightly above the 30 year normal thus keeping light reds in the SE. Example: Despite a trough being present, 570 dm at Charlotte is +6 vs the 30 year normal (average) of 564 dm there.

*Corrected: I meant dm rather than mb.

Last edited:
Back