• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Not a good setup for ATL or Bham but great for parts of MS and TN. It seems these setups tend to trend for the worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it’s a much better setup for northern miss, eastern Arkansas, northern LA , tenn and the northern part of Alabama near the tenn line vs areas to the east

WPC wintry day 5 and day 6 probabilities. Not bad

prbww_sn25_DAY5.gif

prbww_sn25_DAY6.gif

All 4 GFS runs show virtually the same pattern at hour 384 as hour 0. I hope the back portion of winter pays off.

Well the GEFS do look better at the end of the run. The EPS still are really bad end to end.

But yeah, the first 10-15 days of January look to be AN. And it sure doesn’t look like we are on the cusp of a flip by the 15th either.

Sucks having to resort to end of ensemble runs for hope. But, long ways until mid March.

At hr 120 there’s slightly more cold air push into nc. Then on previous runs

Well the GEFS do look better at the end of the run. The EPS still are really bad end to end.

But yeah, the first 10-15 days of January look to be AN. And it sure doesn’t look like we are on the cusp of a flip by the 15th either.

Sucks having to resort to end of ensemble runs for hope. But, long ways until mid March.

Earlier this week the GEFS was showing a big ridge out west and an undeniable trough in the east starting around hr200. It showed it for a couple days only to completely flip and push that ridge back east making the eastern trough go *poof*. I mean eventually we have to have a sh*t pattern showing up on the ensembles only to have it flip for the better inside hr200. This barn burner can’t last forever

Earlier this week the GEFS was showing a big ridge out west and an undeniable trough in the east starting around hr200. It showed it for a couple days only to completely flip and push that ridge back east making the eastern trough go *poof*. I mean eventually we have to have a sh*t pattern showing up on the ensembles only to have it flip for the better inside hr200. This barn burner can’t last forever

It can last, we have had plenty of winters where day 10+ ensembles showed favorable pattern only to never come. We are well on our way to this being the 4th AN winter in a row. It just wants to be warm right now. But, we have had winter storms during that time too.

I have been thinking for the past couple of weeks sometime after Jan 20th. Now, I am thinking early Feb. I know people will come stampeding in to say, ‘what, how can you punt January”. The EPS isn’t close at all... the pacific, the Atlantic and Arctic are all a mess. Usually takes weeks to fix something like that.

57197DFD-4216-40E2-B3F4-0F61D793C8DB.png

The great weeklies from 2 days ago has already busted.

I don’t come on here hoping for warmth, I want snow/cold just as much as anyone. Just frustrated.

F83797C6-DA49-4412-9AB6-FB6426F4EA96.pngEE589FCF-0981-4FB7-A24C-5A8B849BDCE5.png

IMHO we need an ULL since we have very little cold air to work with.

OT note.... I have to give kudos to the GFS and GEFS on the MJO forecast. To me, it’s beating the tar out of the euro and eps. Btw, if the GEFS and some gfs runs are right with it... we are not looking to good for at least the next 2 weeks. Ugh!!

No amped system on the 12z FV3 like the 06z has . It’s a strung out mess at H5 like the 12z gfs has

It can last, we have had plenty of winters where day 10+ ensembles showed favorable pattern only to never come. We are well on our way to this being the 4th AN winter in a row. It just wants to be warm right now. But, we have had winter storms during that time too.

I have been thinking for the past couple of weeks sometime after Jan 20th. Now, I am thinking early Feb. I know people will come stampeding in to say, ‘what, how can you punt January”. The EPS isn’t close at all... the pacific, the Atlantic and Arctic are all a mess. Usually takes weeks to fix something like that.

View attachment 9681
I know an AN Alaska is a symptom of what’s going on behind the curtain but until that happens I don’t see how we get cold air anywhere near East coast. AK seems to be dominated by low after low atm. It won’t be easy to change that. Someone somewhere in the world is seeing a great pattern. Not so much for posters on this forum

Doesn't look good right now. I should be happy with the last storm. It just seems it is too much to ask for more than one good storm here a winter.

No one would be complaining if the cmc verified which we all know won’t happen. This sure isn’t a warm look in the 8-10 day period . Too bad it’s the cmc
ac9c7cad29fb39d89e72913975daafd6.jpg

GEPS trying to hold serve for Day 10
259e55f37e8696cabc94fe287f526a02.jpg

97e0ef5761bfb6e130396fd84b23af6b.jpg

4c008e2c6ce1733951c9f5b03623c16f.jpg

Another solid run of the GEFS. That's a few runs in a row of building heights over the pole. Splits the pig vortex just north of AK. +NAO pattern but take what we can get. Still a ways to go before sustained cold returns.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_fh240-360.gif

Another solid run of the GEFS. That's a few runs in a row of building heights over the pole. Splits the pig vortex just north of AK. +NAO pattern but take what we can get. Still a ways to go before sustained cold returns.

View attachment 9690
Seems like we’ve been hearing this since early December, and here we are , still looking for it!?

View attachment 9690

Yeah, Plenty of time for Day 10-15 to workout. Nice run. Cross polar flow, ++heights near Greenland while not a true block, the trough has little wiggle room and has no choice but to dig east, especially with the pacific low jogging west slightly...the ridge would orient more west. Models struggling with mid month for sure.

Back