• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

I know this is out there in la-la land, but it matches with our LR expectations. Check out the developing -NAO and say hello to our little friend in the GOM:

fv3p_z500_mslp_nhem_56.png

Yes sir. That's what I'm talking about. A real west base -NAO, with NO WAR! And surprise, surprise....there's a Miller A on the coast. We've to get a true -NAO pattern before the winter is over, please!!

It ain't happening that quick, but man I hope it shows up in week 4 like the weeklies show.

1547230745598.png

For areas to the west we will gladly take that PV placement . I love the trough orientation for MBY that you posted above . It really depends on ones location when looking ahead in the LR and seeing the different looks. Certain looks would benefit some areas of the southeast while screwing others .

As nice as it looks I know it will look different on tonight’s runs. I think we will have a true idea of where we are headed by around the middle of next week say Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just needs to sink south a little. But for southern planes to you it’s what you would hope for. I think the OH-V looks like ground zero next couple of weeks.

It's semantics probably but to me we're not in a true pattern change to colder than normal yet. Next week and a half we bounce to cool/warm back and forth. MLK is really the date GEFS locks in on as the true pattern change to colder than normal over the SE. You can see Canada literally open up and the cold flows in. Looks great. Not sure we want the PV in the center of Canada, need more blocking over the top to get it SE Canada.

To me it’s pretty obvious the pattern is changing you can by day 5 Canada is flooded with cold air and by day 8 on the gefs it’s pouring down into the central part of the country . Pretty clear pattern change
c647a0b7c1ffad6a7a228a30e8dc99e1.jpg
f0b3baf332bdb505399582b0e88679ea.jpg

Agreed. I think your -EPO pattern is a given honestly. I've said from day one that's probably going to be this winter's theme....persistence. What we've had in our cold patterns this year is what we've had for the last several winters, -EPO/+PNA/+ or neutral NAO.

The weeklies at week 4 have a true -NAO with not just ridging over greenland, but lower heights in SE Canada/Nova Scotia/West Atlantic. That's what I'd really like to get a hold of, but what I think is a mirage. The west coast ridging just does not want to leave. I think when we get rid of the WAR and get a true -NAO we get a real Miller A IMO.

View attachment 10667

You need the west coast ridging with that look because you would be relying on trough orientation and the PV to keep things from cutting.

With the look on the FV3, the ridging can slide farther off the coast because you have a whopper of a -NAO. Take that away and storms will amp everytime.

Doc says, NC, how would you like another icestorm on 1/20?
And the one you're having this weekend would seem like tiddlywinks in comparison.

And the one you're having this weekend would seem like tiddlywinks in comparison.
Care to share any graphics or chime in on how far into SC it's showing?

Yeah, I've never seen the Euro use the colors it's using for freezing rain on that output of the 12Z run. Crazy heavy freezing rain. Wowzers! It's unreal.

Last edited:
Looks very similar to the gfs as far as general snow area for the next 10 days
e973801a87e2c66888c284dea6e0b2f0.jpg

Wedging is definitely stronger, as is the high. I'm skeptical of the high being that strong at game time. But if it is, icing should be more expansive than the event unfolding now.
No doubt. Having snow pack with a 1045 hp would be epic ice for here.

Back