• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

That map even shows 0.1" way down here. Have we ever had two winters in a row with measurable snow? I could find only one: 1988-9 and 1989-90. However, I'm aware of several winters with two: 1851-2, 1917-8, 1976-7, and 1985-6. Also, there's a good chance there were at least two during 1799-1800.

I think we can safely say that the doc was drunk tonight. What the heck happened to the King?

Alright, here's the deal. The discussion threads have gotten chaotic recently with banter, off topic, one liners, wannabe jokers, etc.

Basically, the moderators don't want to be "jerks" like "other places" that we seem to be accused of lately, so I'll handle it myself.

Keep the off topic banter in here. Only warning. We want people to be able to read the pattern/storm threads and learn something versus sifting through 500 garbage posts in between.

If you hate this place so much or think it's "turning into the other place" then you're free to request an account deletion.

6z GFS has me interested in two potential system for the southView attachment 10652View attachment 10653
The upper air pattern stinks for a SE winter storm for this time frame, as depicted on the regular GFS. Take a look: There is a nice ridge along the west coast and up into Canada. But notice how the trough axis is oriented farther west. Also notice that there is no blocking. Also notice that the storm is already too far north, as it should be, based on the model's upper air depiction. This would most likely be front end slop for the far northern/western zones, maybe, followed by rain.

GFS.jpg

Now, look at the FV-3 for the same period: The ridge isn't quite as tall, but it's still very effective, along the west coast. But what do we see over Greenland? A nice big fat west-based -NAO. The PV is farther south and oriented more west-east, and the storm track is farther south. It is a classic suppressed pattern. If this shows up for real, it is time to sound the alarm, load the boat, back up the truck, go all in, etc.

FV-3.jpg

Unfortunately, it's been a long time since that pattern showed up for real. But if it does, it's full steam ahead snowstorm city.

The upper air pattern stinks for a SE winter storm for this time frame, as depicted on the regular GFS. Take a look: There is a nice ridge along the west coast and up into Canada. But notice how the trough axis is oriented farther west. Also notice that there is no blocking. Also notice that the storm is already too far north, as it should be, based on the model's upper air depiction. This would most likely be front end slop for the far northern/western zones, maybe, followed by rain.

View attachment 10663

Now, look at the FV-3 for the same period: The ridge isn't quite as tall, but it's still very effective, along the west coast. But what do we see over Greenland? A nice big fat west-based -NAO. The PV is farther south and oriented more west-east, and the storm track is farther south. It is a classic suppressed pattern. If this shows up for real, it is time to sound the alarm, load the boat, back up the truck, go all in, etc.

View attachment 10664

Unfortunately, it's been a long time since that pattern showed up for real. But if it does, it's full steam ahead snowstorm city.

I hope the FV3 is correct and we all taste that delicious awesome sauce. Really, are we going to believe the GFS over the FV3 anymore?

Bias or no bias , the 06z gefs is one of the coldest runs in a while starting at day 8 through the end of the run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like MLK is the threshold for a nice cool/cold pattern that locks in. Everything after was a moderate cold that hangs around through the end of the run. Nice.

1547214862284.png

I hope the FV3 is correct and we all taste that delicious awesome sauce. Really, are we going to believe the GFS over the FV3 anymore?
Agreed. Honestly, it's difficult to believe any model at that range. But if I knew that one of them was going to be right and didn't know which one it was, I'd probably pick the regular GFS, just because that's the kind of "good" pattern that we've seen continue to repeat the last several years. -EPO driven with no blocking, ending up in mostly mixed events and Miller B things.

View attachment 10663

View attachment 10664

All I need is a western ridge and a -epo . You Carolina peeps can worry about the NAO . I figure we get a 2-3week window with chances starting the week of the 20th. A -epo pattern has been money for the last decade for my area . What’s the saying , if it’s not broken don’t fix it .

That said if we happen to get a -NAO that’s great . Then maybe we can get a slow crawling Miller A . One can dream right ?

View attachment 10663

View attachment 10664

FV3 has been better in the long range so I will go with that. We may not always get sustained -NAO blocking but with a -EPO we are money as well.

All I need is a western ridge and a -epo . You Carolina peeps can worry about the NAO . I figure we get a 2-3week window with chances starting the week of the 20th. A -epo pattern has been money for the last decade for my area . What’s the saying , if it’s not broken don’t fix it .

That said if we happen to get a -NAO that’s great . Then maybe we can get a slow crawling Miller A . One can dream right ?

It's been a while since we had a slow moving Miller A that hammers most of the south from TX to the Carolinas. I would say we are overdue!

Yeah, you guys are far enough west that you don't need the NAO as bad. I can't recall the last time I've seen a storm in winter move through southern GA/southern SC/northern FL and then just off and up the coast. That track doesn't seem to happen anymore. Probably mostly due to lack of wintertime blocking.

Back