• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Well looks like a classic storm hit on the fv3 on long range. I know it will change on next run. Here is 2 frames of it from noaa. I will post the the other frames as it becomes available.

Also if I am up I will post the tropical tidbit website fv3 version. Easier to read maps. 8A4D3300-571F-4E2D-A73B-D2BE881287A0.gifE7C12AD1-094A-4E43-8080-86E1A0CA193F.gif

Ayeee those maps bring back the memories from when I was a teen, and lazy outside of using Meteostar (which I do still use, just not as my main option). That does look like it would be a decent hit of snow before rain in north Alabama, but it is of course, still fantasy land.

The torch seems over with either way even if it doesn't get epically cold, but if the PV visits at some point it will.

Man. This has been a boring winter so far for the true south. I just want to see something falling at this point. It's rained for days. So much wasted potential...and every where I read was screaming a snowy winter. Bah. Hoping we at least get something to track for those of us in my neck of the woods soon.

20th system is now rain and a cutter! Pattern change, FTW! :(

0z Can was just starting to lay hammer down: Loved to have seen one more frame:

1547120831353.png

As we discuss and debate what might happen next in our winter weather, let us briefly remember a discussion last week on this very thread about freezing temps in Atlanta. There was actually discussion here as to whether or not ATL would get below freezing again this winter. The models did not look good and there was lots of doom and gloom and folks walking towards a cliff. There was already talk on January 2 that the month of January was toast. One week later at 7:00 am 1/10/19 Atlanta is reporting 30 degrees. Amazing what a difference a few days can make (especially when you live and die by each batch of computer model runs). This may not end up being the best winter ever, but I will take where we are right now vs. most winters I have experienced in the SE.

Details remain largely unknown and the large scale pattern to is in flux but there’s definitely a signal for a significant storm of some kind even if it doesn’t produce wintry weather around Jan 19-20th or so. We still have quite a ways before even considering this a legitimate threat for snow/ice in the SE US but there’s certainly a chance it could become one if a few dominos fall into place

Back