• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Even with drier than normal for a 5 day period, you can get a major snow. 5 day normals are near 0.75” at ATL. But many of the major snows there have had liquid equivalent of only 0.30-.50” with no sig precip otherwise around the day of the storm.

Even with drier than normal for a 5 day period, you can get a major snow. 5 day normals are near 0.75” at ATL. But many of the major snows there have had liquid equivalent of only 0.30-.50” with no sig precip otherwise around the day of the storm.
Best snows are when cold squeezes the air dry ... ;)

Oh, come on. Seriously? We get the pattern change and it gets dry? Of course...lol. ensembles still look like a split flow long range so not sure I buy that.
Well, if we go deep in the freezer, and if the analogs are used are very cold ones, then deep cold and dry makes sense. That's why I hope it's not super cold, just 30s with lows in the teens to 20s.

Oh, come on. Seriously? We get the pattern change and it gets dry? Of course...lol. ensembles still look like a split flow long range so not sure I buy that.
Was just responding to a post, not offering any prognostication. In fact, your old Curmudgeon tends to agree with you on a split flow being very likely. Where I have issues is any sufficient cold of any duration to really amount to a hill of beans (at least deep south) ... o_O

Was just responding to a post, not offering any prognostication. In fact, your old Curmudgeon tends to agree with you on a split flow being very likely. Where I have issues is any sufficient cold of any duration to really amount to a hill of beans (at least deep south) ... o_O
Not bone dry, I hope.

I’ll remind folks that the heaviest concentration of major winter storms at ATL since the 1870s during weak to moderate El Niño’s was during the 1/21-2/7 period. So, the timing on this projected cold is mighty nice from that perspective.
You just guaranteed a board wide winter storm on February 8 LOL

If the coming cold pattern means the STJ dies and we have nothing to show for it but a NW flow clipper parade, I would rather it stay warm

If the coming cold pattern means the STJ dies and we have nothing to show for it but a NW flow clipper parade, I would rather it stay warm
A colder pattern doesn't necessarily mean that the STJ will get cut off. If the northern stream presses too far south it can easily get cut off though.

0z CMC was close of having something good for next weekend in the southeast.
0c74c2f0c1f4269874e6e188faa07072.jpg

0z GFS is big time cold thru the end of the run. Shows the NE getting heavy snows with 850s around -15 and surface temps in the teens. Man if only the south could pull off a low stress event like that lmao

Back