• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Man Georgia is getting no love on fantasy runs so far this year. It’s like snow just jumps the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For good reason. Mountains to the north and we don’t get the full benefit of the wedge. You need a perfect recipe for snow here and it ain’t easy to bake that cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw where we have made it to phase 8. The Euro is predicting 7-8 more days in phase 8 before entering the COD in phases 8 and 0 for several more days. Looks great! What do you think @GaWx??

I saw where we have made it to phase 8. The Euro is predicting 7-8 more days in phase 8 before entering the COD in phases 8 and 0 for several more days. Looks great! What do you think @GaWx??

I love it for this weekend’s prospects for sure. From a pure MJO point of view from my perspective, there’s no place I’d rather be for the SE as a whole (not talking MBY specifically), especially during El Niño and even moreso during Jan. The consensus of either a little outside phase 8 or on/inside left part of circle during just El Niño Jans going back to 1977 that I posted about recently to supplement the all ENSO analysis of Jans 1975-2014 that I put in the blog 2 years ago said this being the coldest MJO location for the SE on average has actually been most evident during El Niño.
I’ll probably post more about the history related to this for RDU and ATL later.

Edit: Combining this with -2 AO this Thu and +0.75 PNA this weekend and you have a great combo of these three indices!

Another edit: Looking further out in time, I love where the EPS is curling the MJO within the circle! So, also looking nice for late month from pure MJO perspective.

Last edited:
I'd love to see this fill in a bit in advance of our storm, absolutely abysmal snow cover in the east-central US right now
View attachment 10125
that's not snowcover, that's 24 hour accumulation
snowcover
scover.gif

What will it take for us deep South folks to score in January especially with everything lined up so far with the mjo going to phase 8 and soi tanking negative or do it really matter more for the upper south east folks

What will it take for us deep South folks to score in January especially with everything lined up so far with the mjo going to phase 8 and soi tanking negative or do it really matter more for the upper south east folks

Allan says it best I think. Otherwise we need great timing like this potential day 6-7 threat.

It all matters in figuring the chances for the deep south, too, but there is of course always going to be a much lower chance there on average just due to being further south. I'll do a hypothetical to illustrate. Let's say all of the major indices are lined up like 7s on a slot machine for a 5 day period starting in about a week. Whereas the longterm average chance for any wintry precip during that 5 day period may at RDU be, say, 30%, say 10% at Tusc., and say 1% at SAV, it may be with all the 7s lined up, say, 75% at RDU, 30% at Tusc, and 4% at SAV. It may increase the chance more in relation to a location's normal further south but it would likely still be much higher further north...just not as steep a gradient,

Last edited:
Allan says it best I think. Otherwise we need great timing like this potential day 6-7 threat.

Who needs a sustained cold pattern? Seems like we get the big storm threats when we go from really warm like today to just cold enough a week later.

Who needs a sustained cold pattern? Seems like we get the big storm threats when we go from really warm like today to just cold enough a week later.

I wouldn’t prefer to have sustained cold so we don’t go 6 weeks between chances. But to each it’s own.

Back