• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

Thanks y’all my phone wasn’t loading image.. but I imagine e17 is a lot of ICE/SLEET

Correct
eddd2041bd26ba75332d0e65d3834852.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the good news is, both GFS’s picked up on the December threat, so it’s good to have them trending better

We need to wait just another day or so before we start the thread.

Exactly because the cold air we have to work with here is marginal. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen just we really have to thread a needle here outside the mountains.

What a turnaround from 4 days ago when most of us were thinking the pattern wouldn't turn favorable until the last week in January or the first of February. It's hard to believe that we are tracking an event that will happen PRIOR to Jan 15th! Looks to be heading towards a classic nino winter.

Not to sound pompous or anything but 1300m & I have keyed in on this period from the 2nd-3rd week of January for the last several weeks and nearly a month ago even and remained stedfast when most here were worried about a blowtorch. Things have evolved generally as we expected and we both anticipate the pattern to remain favorable or become more so as we get into late January & February.

Dec 18 (me): "Mid-January certainly is starting to hold a little large-scale promise that something could appear on the horizon during that timeframe"

Dec 26 (me): "in line w/ the long-term post-2000 tendency, I'm expecting a legitimate threat for wintry weather to appear in NC once the MJO nears phase 7 sometime around mid-month"

Dec 26 (me): "I’ve got a hunch we might crank out another event the 2nd or 3rd week of January before we even hit this canonical Nino window."

Back