• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

They are. Look at the 48 hour trend we've seen. It's all interconnected but the MJO has been a big piece of the puzzle that the models are starting to resolve this along with the SSW and we are likely at the beginning of a nice trend heading toward 1/15 and beyond.

I will take your word and see where we are come jan 15th. West to east zonal flow wont get er done!

It would just seem that the models/ensembles would be really hinting at something by now. Those are big players 1300M

The arctic starting to warm over the AO domain on the EPS is a good sign. Hopefully since its slow and steady it means it will be slow to breakdown.

Trends over the last 4 12z runs.

arcticwarming.gif

Looks like blocking to me.

cfs-avg_z500aMean_nhem_5.png

cfs-avg_T2maMean_nhem_5.png

You will have to remind me what blocking is called again. Im bumfuzzled.

Joking aside, it is interesting how that 500mb chart looks like how the PV lobes look at 10mb with the big ridge inbetween.

Last edited:
Canadian develops a low in the gulf along a cold front but it is too warm. Close not no cigar. This is for next weekend.
BFCF71E8-2795-4B47-AB20-F2BB91B610E4.png0F2855B8-B26F-4391-940A-7B2E2F352E3D.png

But as others posted yesterday. CFS shows dramatic flip to end January.
View attachment 10025View attachment 10026
I have an extremely hard time putting stock in the CFS. I suppose it could be right, and it fits with what everyone has been saying in terms of timing. But the Ops are now starting to see into the end of Jan, and they’re not showing anything more than hints of a change, which is about the same as the several weeks now. There are still ways to score, but nothing stands out to me yet as being a good looking pattern, at any sort of reasonable lead.

I have an extremely hard time putting stock in the CFS. I suppose it could be right, and it fits with what everyone has been saying in terms of timing. But the Ops are now starting to see into the end of Jan, and they’re not showing anything more than hints of a change, which is about the same as the several weeks now. There are still ways to score, but nothing stands out to me yet as being a good looking pattern, at any sort of reasonable lead.

Agree, seems like the CFS has been showing days 20-30 as cold, like the weeklies. A good thing is the GEFS and EPS show a more nino like pattern and that should bode well as we end January into February. We can’t mess up a Feb weak nino. Virtually impossible :)

Only a week out. This is ahead of a warm front so not much upside with precip, but 850s and 2m dewpoints are actually decent well into AL and GA (so if precip is heavy enough, would be snow).

snku_acc.conus.png

Back