• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

My point forcast has me at 35 Friday night. I've seen plenty of snow fall in the mid 30s's, even low 40's...if the column is cold enough down to near the ground, but my point is made. Snow chance is not over, nor is winter...we just need timing. Just because it's clear Friday just means the timing is not right, lol. It will be plenty cold enough, if many other factors come into play. Timing to get a cold column, with warm ground and water to mix. Like a good spring snow. I can understand all the angst, but beyond 3 days, it's just babble....if we end up with an 8 inch spring snow April 2nd. It'll melt while it's falling, but it's still snow, and will count on the snoOmeter.

18z EPS continuing to amplify the pattern in Canada even more, and digging the Arctic energy more this run, note the ridge in central/western Canada, is trending stronger. This helps the northern stream energy dig and interact more with the prior southern wave, this increases the chances of a colder 50/50 low 065D2B3C-30A5-4498-83AA-2282E968E3CF.gif

This is in no way down playing the storm threat. It may have legs. But when it comes to a cold pattern later we now know the fly in the ointment and why a torch is shown over cold with phase 8. The SPV is strong despite what some say. It's becoming increasingly likely January is going to be a dumpster fire for cold. I really hope we can steal this event because the pattern still looks horrible going forward.

This is in no way down playing the storm threat. It may have legs. But when it comes to a cold pattern later we now know the fly in the ointment and why a torch is shown over cold with phase 8. The SPV is strong despite what some say. It's becoming increasingly likely January is going to be a dumpster fire for cold. I really hope we can steal this event because the pattern still looks horrible going forward.

Looks like after the threat, we go back to a very warm pattern as the pacific jet flattens, and everything gets chopped off in the fast zonal pattern. It’s a very similar evolution to jan 2020. We better score later next week

Looks like after the threat, we go back to a very warm pattern as the pacific jet flattens, and everything gets chopped off in the fast zonal pattern. It’s a very similar evolution to jan 2020. We better score later next week
Fro, is there anything to slow or retract the jet for a while instead of just a few days?

Fro, is there anything to slow or retract the jet for a while instead of just a few days?
Don’t see it right now, troposphere looks to become hostile to any attempt at ridging going up, we had a similar issue in 2020, we will probably see a Aleutian ridge at some point develop around late jan, but other then the short window around mid month, I don’t see much right now, we probably go from that short decent look to a +EPO/neutral to -PNA, to a Aleutian ridge/-PNA

Don’t see it right now, troposphere looks to become hostile to any attempt at ridging going up, we had a similar issue in 2020, we will probably see a Aleutian ridge at some point develop around late jan, but other then the short window around mid month, I don’t see much right now, we probably go from that short decent look to a +EPO/neutral to -PNA, to a Aleutian ridge/-PNA
I think we can hope for now that the Aleutian ridge isn't flat, because a poleward Aleutian ridge may give us our best opportunity compared to a flat ridge

Yep. Obviously something can sneak in at anytime like the 13th threat is doing. And I'm sure we'll have a lot of average days in there. But this is far from Jan 2022. Definitely not a great spot to be in going forward if you want sustained below average temps and multiple storm chances.

Basically what I’ve been saying for a day or two

This graphic here shows the areas of the conus where it’s cold or warm from certain phases of the MJO at least 60% of the time. Notice there’s no blue over the E US except in New England
B26AE75F-4088-4AAA-A0A2-0419310BC62F.png

A few things to consider:

1. In that paper, the NAM (Northern Annular Mode) at 100mb was used as the criteria for the strength of the SPV (1 std deviation above normal for strong, 1 std deviation below normal for weak). I don't have an ensemble image for the forecasted NAM state, but the 00z run of the GFS from last night shows a forecasted NAM value at 100mb to be slightly above normal (it changes run to run on the GFS of course, moreso than if you had an ensemble avg). You can see that the contour for 1 std deviation above normal does dip into the 100mb level for a few days, but overall, this shows a NAM that is only slightly above normal in strength at 100mb (it was weaker than normal thru Dec as shown via the negative values in orange).

xxvaRzg.png

gtDhklC.png

2. For the MJO, the 500mb composites were based on 10 to 14 days after the MJO was in phase 7 / 8. That could be a significant amount of days depending on how fast the MJO is moving...but that factors into the resultant composites. Also, the months of Oct-Mar were used in the composites...that's a long date range, and it's important to note the MJO effects on the 500mb pattern vary based on the date of the year (e.g. typical Phase 2 effects in December are different than the effects in March).

RGjmjim.png

E8ftdd9.png

Anyway, those are just a few things I wanted to point out about that paper. No one has figured all this crap out and has all the answers with long range forecasting, but at least people are trying

Yep. Notice the GEFS weeklies, Euro weeklies, & CFS weeklies also show the MJO reaching the Maritime Continent by early Feb, favors a big warm up

5EAE8282-D23C-4A11-8915-37318DCD1D54.png

F38E9916-2763-4E6D-A5DA-54D37ABA17BB.png

1D938F5A-24D1-442C-9BDC-25CCE2EC83BF.png

FB418699-8031-4DB3-B326-4A9E62A995D9.png

Back